Monday, December 12, 2016

Listen Wisely

Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others. Proverbs 12:15

Don't Gossip...just listen and learn God's ways.
Wisdom is useless, dare I say “foolish” if it cannot be applied to a situation. You have to listen to the other person to see what their need is. Only then can you apply the wisdom, knowledge and understanding that God has given you to counsel or console others.  

There are over 500 times that “listen” is used in the New Living Translation of the Bible. The Israelites are told countless times to “listen” to the Lord their God and to obey His commandments. And now, Israel, listen carefully to these decrees and regulations that I am about to teach you. Obey them so that you may live, so you may enter and occupy the land that the LORD, the God of your ancestors, is giving you. Deuteronomy 4:1. Even in later years of the Old Testament the Israelites are commanded to listen. I think that this example in Hosea shows us that those who are following the Lord are reminded to “listen.”

Let those who are wise understand these things. Let those with discernment listen carefully. The paths of the LORD are true and right, and righteous people live by walking in them. But in those paths sinners stumble and fall. Hosea 14:9. If we want to help others…then we need to help ourselves by being obedient to the Lord God. He will grant us wisdom when we need it…when we ask Him.

Prayer ~ Hear my prayer, O LORD! Listen to my cries for help! Don't ignore my tears. For I am your guest—a traveler passing through, as my ancestors were before me. Psalm 39:12. Help me to listen to others…to truly listen and to empathize with them so that You can meet their needs through me—especially during this cold wintery weather.

[Revised from January 2, 2016 Banquet With The King blog post.]
© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

No comments: