Sunday, April 28, 2024

Sacrifices Reminded Them of Guilt

A shadow of things to come.
This sundial relies on a shadow for time.
Manito Park, Spokane, WA

Prayer – Lord Jesus, what a pure example of Holiness You’ve shown for me. Holiness is what I long for. God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time. (Hebrews 10:10). I don’t think that the Heavenly Father’s will has changed for us. He still wants us to be holy by the blood that You shed, Jesus. Thank you. Purify my heart—even now—and make me holy and acceptable to the Father. 

The old system under the law of Moses was only a shadow, a dim preview of the good things to come, not the good things themselves. The sacrifices under that system were repeated again and again, year after year, but they were never able to provide perfect cleansing for those who came to worship. If they could have provided perfect cleansing, the sacrifices would have stopped, for the worshipers would have been purified once for all time, and their feelings of guilt would have disappeared. But instead, those sacrifices actually reminded them of their sins year after year. For it is not possible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. That is why, when Christ came into the world, he said to God, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings. But you have given me a body to offer. You were not pleased with burnt offerings or other offerings for sin. Then I said, 'Look, I have come to do your will, O God—as is written about me in the Scriptures.'" First, Christ said, "You did not want animal sacrifices or sin offerings or burnt offerings or other offerings for sin, nor were you pleased with them" (though they are required by the law of Moses). Then he said, "Look, I have come to do your will." He cancels the first covenant in order to put the second into effect. For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time. Hebrews 10:1-10 NLT

 

Meditate. Consider God.

 

Jesus Christ was speaking when He said that He Himself came to be the ultimate sacrifice for sin, since that was the Father’s will. The Scripture passage that He was referring to was Psalm 40:5-8.

O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them. You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings. Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand—you don't require burnt offerings or sin offerings. Then I said, "Look, I have come. As is written about me in the Scriptures: I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart." Psalm 40:5-8 NLT

Jesus was happy to do just what our Heavenly Father wanted Him to do and He ultimately did it willingly and obediently. When it comes to doing something difficult—are we obedient to the Father? Were we obedient to our own earthly fathers? Several years ago, my mother informed me I was a rebellious kid. What? I thought I was an obedient, people pleasing kid, although I do remember a few sullen teenage days. I didn’t run with the wrong crowd, smoke, or drink. I got good grades. In my sophomore and junior years of High School I got up early every morning and went to my Uncle’s farm to change irrigation sprinklers. Then after school in my junior and senior years I did the accounts receivable bookkeeping for my Dad’s electrical business, to earn money for college. What did I do that was so wrong? I guess it was my attitude. Attitude is the key in relationships. I sacrificed my time…but that wasn’t enough. I needed to sacrifice my attitude.

 

Although Jesus spent a lot of His time with friends, like His disciples and other followers, He was often helping individuals by healing them physically and spiritually. His attitude was sacrificial towards mankind even before He died on the cross. What do we spend our time doing? God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time. How are we doing with accepting that holy sacrifice? Does His sacrifice remind us of our guilt? Jesus said…

"The time promised by God has come at last!" he announced. "The Kingdom of God is near! Repent of your sins and believe the Good News!" Mark 1:15 NLT

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Cry out, "Save us, O God of our salvation! Gather and rescue us from among the nations, so we can thank your holy name and rejoice and praise you." 1 Chronicles 16:35 NLT


Have you prepared your tax forms? Today is the day!

 

© 2024 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.comGa 

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: