Monday, March 4, 2024

Do I Deserve Compassion and Mercy?

Prayer ~ Jesus, I adore You. I do love You with all my heart, soul, mind and strength. Moment by moment it may not seem like I have much love flowing out of me…but I know that You live in me…and will never leave me or forsake me. So let Your love flow through me…back to You and to those around me. Provide me with the spiritual food I need every day, renewing my strength, guiding me along Your righteous pathways, protect me and show me Your abundant and enduring love that will guide me to our Heavenly home to be with You, forever.

You have put a desire in my heart to worship You, and I will never leave You… Jeremiah 32:40.

 

But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 86:15

 

Meditate. Consider God’s compassion.

 

Our Compassionate Lord
Cross from Medjugorje depicting His life.
This passage is a prayer of David. It is always good to look at the verse in context.

Bend down, O LORD, and hear my prayer; answer me, for I need your help. Protect me, for I am devoted to you. Save me, for I serve you and trust you. You are my God. Be merciful to me, O Lord, for I am calling on you constantly. Give me happiness, O Lord, for I give myself to you. O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive, so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help. Listen closely to my prayer, O LORD; hear my urgent cry. I will call to you whenever I'm in trouble, and you will answer me. No pagan god is like you, O Lord. None can do what you do! All the nations you made will come and bow before you, Lord; they will praise your holy name. For you are great and perform wonderful deeds. You alone are God. Teach me your ways, O LORD, that I may live according to your truth! Grant me purity of heart, so that I may honor you. With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God. I will give glory to your name forever, for your love for me is very great. You have rescued me from the depths of death. O God, insolent people rise up against me; a violent gang is trying to kill me. You mean nothing to them. But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness. Look down and have mercy on me. Give your strength to your servant; save me, the son of your servant. Send me a sign of your favor. Then those who hate me will be put to shame, for you, O LORD, help and comfort me. Psalm 86:1-17

 

David is pleading with God for His help, offering his praise and his thanksgiving. David was truly a man after God’s own heart. We can only do the same, recognizing that God is faithful, compassionate, and loving to us. 

 

I love that He is compassionate and slow to anger. I’ve had a problem with anger in the past sixty plus years, but God has graciously helped me get that under control. It is a matter of self-control--a fruit of the Spirit--that He wants us all to deal with and ultimately master. I guess I can pretty much say that my Irish temper is, if not under control, at least is surrendered to the Lord. I am so grateful for God’s unfailing love and mercy. Great is His faithfulness. Who am I to deserve His love, compassion, mercy and faithfulness? Now that I believe in Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I am a child of God. What father doesn’t care for his children? So, although I am undeserving, I am a child of God and He cares about me. Are you part of the family of God?

But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulnessPsalm 86:15.

Do you desire and love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength? Do any of us deserve compassion and mercy?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Do not hide Your face from me; Do not turn Your servant away in anger; You have been my help; Do not leave me nor forsake me, O God of my salvation. Psalm 27:9 NKJV

 

© 2024 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

New King James Version (NKJV) ©1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Harper Collins Publisher. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: