Friday, August 11, 2023

Looking for God’s Blessing?

Prayer – Lord Jesus, I hear Your word and plea for obedience. I want Your blessing…so I will listen and obey. I hear…the time is near. 

God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says, for the time is near. Revelation 1:3

 

Meditate.  Listen to God’s words and obey.

 

Jesus stressed the importance of obedience…and that obedience shows love. Love given and love received. Additionally, to love Jesus is to love His Father…our Heavenly Father.

If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn't looking for him and doesn't recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you. No, I will not abandon you as orphans--I will come to you. Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live. When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you. Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them." Judas (not Judas Iscariot, but the other disciple with that name) said to him, "Lord, why are you going to reveal yourself only to us and not to the world at large?" Jesus replied, "All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them. Anyone who doesn't love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me. John 14:15-24

Disloyalty is disobedience. How often do we try…and try…to obey and just can’t? Then again have you ever willfully disobeyed one of God’s commandments? It is human nature…or maybe it could be called fallen nature, since after Adam and Eve disobeyed, they hid from God and had to be covered with animal skins to cover their sin. In His Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5-7) Jesus talked about how thinking the evil was the same as doing the sinful act. Even in the Old Testament we see shame from sin.

Lord, you are in the right; but as you see, our faces are covered with shame. This is true of all of us, including the people of Judah and Jerusalem and all Israel, scattered near and far, wherever you have driven us because of our disloyalty to you. O LORD, we and our kings, princes, and ancestors are covered with shame because we have sinned against you. But the Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him. We have not obeyed the LORD our God, for we have not followed the instructions he gave us through his servants the prophets. Daniel 9:7-10

Are you looking for God’s blessing? Are you willing to listen and obey?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God. Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. In this way, God qualified him as a perfect High Priest, and he became the source of eternal salvation for all those who obey him. Hebrews 5:7-9

 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table

I’m on a gluten free-granola kick right now. It is a very satisfying snack or dessert—topped with kefir or yogurt. You can add just about anything you like in the way of dried fruits or nuts.

 

Hearty Granola

·        4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (use certified gluten-free oats for gluten-free granola)

·        1 ½ cup raw nuts and/or seeds (I used 1 cup chopped pecans/walnuts/almonds and ½ cup pepitas)

·        1 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt (if you’re using standard table salt, scale back to ¾ teaspoon)

·        ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

·        ½ cup melted coconut oil or olive oil

·        ½ cup maple syrup or honey

·        1 teaspoon vanilla extract

·        ⅔ cup dried fruit, chopped if large (I used dried cranberries, raisins, and mangos)

·        Totally optional additional mix-ins: ½ cup chocolate chips or ¾ cup coconut flakes

1.      Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.  (Alternatively, if you've lots of time, pre-heat to 250 degrees to bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.)

2.      In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, nuts and/or seeds, salt and cinnamon. Stir to blend.

3.      Pour in the oil, maple syrup and/or honey and vanilla. Mix well, until every oat and nut is lightly coated. Pour the granola onto your prepared pan and use a large spoon to spread it in an even layer.

4.      Bake at 350 degrees until lightly golden, about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway (for extra-clumpy granola, press the stirred granola down with your spatula to create a more even layer). The granola will further crisp up as it cools.

5.      Let the granola cool completely, undisturbed (at least 45 minutes). Top with the dried fruit (and optional chocolate chips, if using). Break the granola into pieces with your hands if you want to retain big chunks, or stir it around with a spoon if you don’t want extra-clumpy granola.

6.      Store the granola in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks, or in a sealed freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. The dried fruit can freeze solid, so let it warm to room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

 

© 2023 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: