Tuesday, September 6, 2022

How Long Does God’s Anger Last?

Prayer – Lord, open my eyes and my heart to understanding Your word, and following Your ways.    

Here comes the sun...
And joy in this new day from the Lord.

Prosser Balloon Festival
Prosser, Washington
I will exalt you, LORD, for you rescued me. You refused to let my enemies triumph over me. O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you restored my health. You brought me up from the grave, O LORD. You kept me from falling into the pit of death. Sing to the LORD, all you godly ones! Praise his holy name. For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning. When I was prosperous, I said, "Nothing can stop me now!" Your favor, O LORD, made me as secure as a mountain. Then you turned away from me, and I was shattered. I cried out to you, O LORD. I begged the Lord for mercy, saying, "What will you gain if I die, if I sink into the grave? Can my dust praise you? Can it tell of your faithfulness? Hear me, LORD, and have mercy on me. Help me, O LORD." You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy, that I might sing praises to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever! Psalm 30:1-12

Meditate. Read God’s word and listen to what He is saying.

How long does God’s anger last? David acknowledges God’s deliverance from his past sin. He declared, from his experience, that…His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! God is forgiving to those who repent—who are willing to admit that they have sinned. We all fall short of the glory of God.

For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. Romans 3:23

For me, another key verse in this passage is:

What will you gain if I die, if I sink into the grave? Can my dust praise you? Can it tell of your faithfulness? Hear me, LORD, and have mercy on me.

God doesn’t really need us…although in our finite minds, we may think that He can’t exist without us. Truth is that He does want a relationship with us…but He wants us to be pure and that begins with repenting—turning away from our sinful nature. He is merciful. He accepts us as we are…but He wants us to change. David recognized this in his life…and he changed. We can do the same. Looking back over my life…I can note that because of my relationship with the Lord, I have changed. I am repentant daily…and I not only seek to please the Lord, but I am excited about seeing Him working in my life. I am clothed in joy…and am dancing in my heart because of His love for me…and His love flowing through me to others. I may still experience some mourning—some sadness over losses…but I am content with the life and certainly overwhelmed with the abundance which God has provided to me and my family. God’s anger didn’t last long for David…and it has not lasted long for me.

Do you feel that God is angry with you? Cry out to Him for mercy…just as David did. Hopefully you’ll find that God’s anger doesn’t last long. His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime!  

Verse of Salvation ~ Consult together, argue your case. Get together and decide what to say. Who made these things known so long ago? What idol ever told you they would happen? Was it not I, the LORD? For there is no other God but me, a righteous God and Savior. There is none but me. Isaiah 45:21

Memory Verse of the Week ~ I am the LORD, and there is no other Savior. Isaiah 43:11

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

 

No comments: