Friday, September 16, 2022

Prayer – Lord, in Your scripture, show me what You want me to do today. Open my eyes and my heart to understanding what my purpose is in living—today and forever. 

I waited patiently for the LORD to help me, and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the LORD. Oh, the joys of those who trust the LORD, who have no confidence in the proud or in those who worship idols. O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them. You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings. Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand—you don't require burnt offerings or sin offerings. Then I said, "Look, I have come. As is written about me in the Scriptures: I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart." I have told all your people about your justice. I have not been afraid to speak out, as you, O LORD, well know. I have not kept the good news of your justice hidden in my heart; I have talked about your faithfulness and saving power. I have told everyone in the great assembly of your unfailing love and faithfulness. LORD, don't hold back your tender mercies from me. Let your unfailing love and faithfulness always protect me. For troubles surround me—too many to count! My sins pile up so high I can't see my way out. They outnumber the hairs on my head. I have lost all courage. Please, LORD, rescue me! Come quickly, LORD, and help me. May those who try to destroy me be humiliated and put to shame. May those who take delight in my trouble be turned back in disgrace. Let them be horrified by their shame, for they said, "Aha! We've got him now!" But may all who search for you be filled with joy and gladness in you. May those who love your salvation repeatedly shout, "The LORD is great!" As for me, since I am poor and needy, let the Lord keep me in his thoughts. You are my helper and my savior. O my God, do not delay. Psalm 40:1-17

Meditate. Read God’s word and listen to what He is saying to you.

Sit and wait patiently for the Lord.

Waiting patiently is a great virtue…and patience is one of the parts of the fruit of the Spirit (see Galatians 5:22-23). Waiting patiently…on the Lord—that is a wowser! It is usually the other way around. He is usually waiting patiently for us to make a decision or to follow His path. We don’t always wait patiently for the Lord to do something…we cry and whine and want what we want NOW! Paul writes to the church at Rome about waiting patiently

We who are strong must be considerate of those who are sensitive about things like this. We must not just please ourselves. We should help others do what is right and build them up in the Lord. For even Christ didn't live to please himself. As the Scriptures say, "The insults of those who insult you, O God, have fallen on me." Such things were written in the Scriptures long ago to teach us. And the Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God's promises to be fulfilled. May God, who gives this patience and encouragement, help you live in complete harmony with each other, as is fitting for followers of Christ Jesus. Then all of you can join together with one voice, giving praise and glory to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 15:1-6 (Underlined for emphasis.)

The Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled. Hope. Hope for our future in the promise of a home in Heaven with the Lord. Hope for God’s promises for His presence in our lives, now. That is just what we all need…day by day, moment by moment. That’s a good purpose for living. Hope.

Verse of Salvation ~ We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. Romans 5:3-4

Memory Verse of the Week ~ You are the light of the world—like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table

Sugar is poison. That has been my mantra for about five years. Looking back through earlier blog posts I mentioned that sugar is poison to me in 2017. It was then…it still is now.

Dieting. Ugh. Some people consider it a dirty word…but let’s face it…diet is part of everyone’s life. It is the way we eat…not necessarily just restricting our food. We eat to live and live to eat. Recently I was behind a man in his seventies at the grocery checkout. He had a couple of tomatoes and bananas, hamburger buns, three packages of cookies and a lot of chocolate bars. It didn’t look like a very healthy diet…but who was I to judge. Sugar is just poison for me—so I am trying desperately to avoid it as much as possible. I will admit (in 2019) I had a jar of Mrs. Richardson’s Hot Fudge Sauce in my cart. I’ve found that it is wonderful to have on a spoonful of fresh ground peanut butter when I can’t resist those carb cravings! What is your weakness when the cravings attack? Do you turn to the Lord, or do you give in to those cravings?

Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

 Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: