Thursday, August 26, 2021

Will Your Thoughts Keep You From Inheriting the Kingdom of God?

Meditate. Think about your thoughts.

Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

This is so controversial and I am not one to protest or stir the pot. I feel that to break one of the Ten Commandments is to break them all—and I am not perfect. I cannot condemn someone else’s lifestyle or actions. Because Jesus taught that to think it (a sinful action) is to do it…I am not sinless, just forgiven.  Jesus addressed sinfulness in a couple of ways. In His teaching that we know as “The Sermon on the Mount,” He explained how people were to live…and that included avoiding adultery.

You have heard the commandment that says, 'You must not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Matthew 5:27-28

Much earlier in my life I thought about a guy who was not my husband (same as looking)…and considered how great it would have been to have him as my husband. Wrong! I didn’t marry the wrong guy. God gave me just the right man to be my husband…until death do us part. We’ve made that commitment to each other and stuck by it for over forty-nine years. I asked the Lord to forgive me for my inappropriate thoughts—that sin…and thankfully He has.

Will this soap wash away your sin?
Lavender Soap

If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. If we claim we have not sinned, we are calling God a liar and showing that his word has no place in our hearts. 1 John 1:8-10

Cleansing is a good thing. Without that assurance, we’d be carrying around a truckload of guilt and shame, making a fool of ourselves to God and others. I am grateful for the scripture today…you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

In another instance Jesus taught His disciples that words…not food can make us unclean.

Then Peter said to Jesus, "Explain to us the parable that says people aren't defiled by what they eat." "Don't you understand yet?" Jesus asked. "Anything you eat passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer. But the words you speak come from the heart—that's what defiles you. For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands will never defile you." Matthew 15:15-20

A right relationship with the Lord for you today may need to include a time of confessing sin—whether it is in thoughts, words or actions. Sin is sin. It separates us from the Lord and remember that the punishment for sin is death (Romans 6:23). Jesus already died for our sins…so we don’t have to die…just humble ourselves and ask for forgiveness. Can you call on the name of the Lord?

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, forgive me for the improper thoughts I had today…and the unkind words that came out of my mouth as I was frustrated with traffic…or…. My actions even speak louder than words to those around me…so please guide not only my thoughts and words, but also my actions that others would see the reflection of You…of Your light in my life…and be drawn to the security and love that only You can provide.

Verses of Salvation ~ If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved. As the Scriptures tell us, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced." Jew and Gentile are the same in this respect. They have the same Lord, who gives generously to all who call on him. For "Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved." Romans 10:9-13



© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: