Sunday, August 1, 2021

What Are You Thinking About?

Meditate. Think…about thinking.

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:6-9


All during the month of July you may have noticed a statement every day to “Think….”
Think love, not hate
Think success, not failure
Think health, not disease
Think good, not evil
Think prosperity, not poverty
Think safety, not danger
Think life, not death
Think friendship, not hostility
Think joy, not sorrow
Think hope, not despair
…and more. Think…think…think. Keep your mind focused on the things are excellent and worthy of praise…things that matter to God…not on just having things the way you want them to be. As you think on the good stuff, focus on your relationship with the Lord.

What do you treasure and hide
in your heart?

Do you see a value in memorizing scripture? You may say, as I have…I’m too old to memorize scripture any more…it is too hard to do. But remember…"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37. What scripture are you prompted to memorize. Contemplate, ask God what verse or verses He wants you to “hide in your heart”. Maybe you need to start by just reviewing scripture that you have already memorized and see if you still can recite them. That is where I recently started. I’m reviewing…and relearning Psalm 1 that I memorized as Junior High student. Now I’m learning it in NASB instead of the King James Version. It is my effort to be obedient today…to “hide” God’s word in my heart. What are you doing today to obedient to the Lord?

But Samuel replied, "What is more pleasing to the LORD: your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better than offering the fat of rams. 1 Samuel 15:22

 Prayer ~ Lord God, You expect obedience. Obedience is better than sacrifice. I want to be obedient to You in all things in my life.

Verses of Salvation ~ Jesus shouted to the crowds, "If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark. I will not judge those who hear me but don't obey me, for I have come to save the world and not to judge it. But all who reject me and my message will be judged on the day of judgment by the truth I have spoken. I don't speak on my own authority. The Father who sent me has commanded me what to say and how to say it. And I know his commands lead to eternal life; so I say whatever the Father tells me to say." John 12:44-50 (Underlined for emphasis.)

© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

 

No comments: