Wednesday, April 7, 2021

It Is Finished!

Meditate. Consider Jesus’ mission…His job assignment.

Jesus knew that his mission was now finished, and to fulfill Scripture he said, "I am thirsty." A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it up to his lips. When Jesus had tasted it, he said, "It is finished!" Then he bowed his head and released his spirit. John 19:28-30

When was the last time you “finished” some long-time task or project? We have a great example right at the beginning of the Bible about a completed task. God finished what He started.

So the creation of the heavens and the earth and everything in them was completed. On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so he rested from all his work. Genesis 2:1-2

God not only started a good work of creating the earth and finished it, He has started a good work in each of us…and will finish it.

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. Philippians 1:6

Here are a few verses that indicate what Jesus came to earth to do.

·        Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose. Matthew 5:17

·        Don't imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword. Matthew 10:34

·        But Jesus replied, "We must go on to other towns as well, and I will preach to them, too. That is why I came." Mark 1:38

·        I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.... I have revealed you to the ones you gave me from this world. They were always yours. You gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything I have is a gift from you, for I have passed on to them the message you gave me. They accepted it and know that I came from you, and they believe you sent me. John 17:4, 6-8

·        Then he told John's disciples, "Go back to John and tell him what you have seen and heard—the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor. Luke 7:22

Cross from Medjugorje
Depicts the Life of Jesus

His job on Earth was being the sacrifice for mankind’s sin so that we could be reconciled to God…as well as teaching people how to live to please God, healing the sick, lame and blind, and preaching the Good News…the Gospel that there is eternal life available to those who believe.

I heard a profound statement recently. Everyone is going to hell. Only those who accept Jesus as their Savior will be rescued from that fiery pit. Where are you headed…that fiery pit or heaven where Jesus takes those He rescues?

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, I look forward to seeing You face to face one day. Thank You for rescuing me from that eternal lake of the fiery pit. Thank You for finishing Your task on earth.

Verses of Salvation ~ [We cannot work for salvation, it is a gift. After we are saved, we desire to serve the Lord.] Dear friends, you always followed my instructions when I was with you. And now that I am away, it is even more important. Work hard to show the results of your salvation, obeying God with deep reverence and fear. For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him. Do everything without complaining and arguing, so that no one can criticize you. Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights in a world full of crooked and perverse people. Philippians 2:12-15


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
ll scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.


Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: