Tuesday, April 6, 2021

He Trusted God

Meditate. Did Jesus want God to rescue Him from the cross?

The leading priests, the teachers of religious law, and the elders also mocked Jesus. "He saved others," they scoffed, "but he can't save himself! So he is the King of Israel, is he? Let him come down from the cross right now, and we will believe in him! He trusted God, so let God rescue him now if he wants him! For he said, 'I am the Son of God.'" Even the revolutionaries who were crucified with him ridiculed him in the same way. Matthew 27:41-44

Prophesy fulfilled!  These same words were written by King David a thousand years before Christ was born, as recorded in Psalm 22.

"Is this the one who relies on the LORD? Then let the LORD save him! If the LORD loves him so much, let the LORD rescue him!" Psalm 22:8

Brass cross from Korea.
Jesus crucifixion.
Those who spoke those words may have heard them…or even read them for themselves…but they did not connect those words from the Psalms to Jesus. The Lord is the mighty God…Jehovah. Did those priests, teachers and elders who mocked Jesus on the cross have any relationship with the Lord God?

Jesus trusted His Heavenly Father and was obedient to Him…obedient to the point of death. Amazing love…for the Son to have such overwhelming devotion to His Father…and for the Father to love the world He created so much that He would be willing to sacrifice His Son. That is love. Jesus trusted His Father to have a plan, a purpose, and a reward. There may have seemed a uselessness for Jesus’ death on the cross…but if ever there was a sacrifice worth making—that was it. There was a purpose…salvation for mankind. The greatest reward in life…for Jesus and for us. Resurrection from the dead. Resurrection. Rebirth. Renewal. Reconciliation.  

I replied, "But my work seems so useless! I have spent my strength for nothing and to no purpose. Yet I leave it all in the LORD's hand; I will trust God for my reward." Isaiah 49:4

Like Jesus, I trust in the Lord God.

I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me? Psalm 56:4

I trust in the Lord, with all my heart….

Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
    don’t try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God’s voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
    he’s the one who will keep you on track.
Don’t assume that you know it all.
    Run to God! Run from evil!
Your body will glow with health,
    your very bones will vibrate with life!
Honor God with everything you own;
    give him the first and the best.
Your barns will burst,
    your wine vats will brim over.
But don’t, dear friend, resent God’s discipline;
    don’t sulk under his loving correction.
It’s the child he loves that God corrects;
    a father’s delight is behind all this.

The Message – Proverbs 3:5-12

Trust God. Honor Him…not just on Sunday, but every day. I like the way Peterson paraphrased this portion of Proverbs. Listen for God’s voice. It is so important to Listen. How can you have a relationship with someone…even God…if you don’t LISTEN to them?

Prayer ~ Lord God, I trust You from the bottom of my heart with my whole life…with my very being. I am listening for Your guidance in my life. I know that You love me and have promised to never leave me or forsake me. Speak to me...I am listening.

Verses of Salvation ~ But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God's sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God's condemnation. For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God. Romans 5:8-11


© 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
The Message (MSG) Copyright © 1993, 2002, 2018 by Eugene H. Peterson
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character
Available as an e-book or paperback at Amazon.com

No comments: