Friday, July 26, 2019

Willing to Obey

Memory Verse:
Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Psalm 51:10-12

Make me willing to obey you. Make me. God doesn’t force us to do anything. We are not His puppets. He has given us free will and the ability to make our own choices in life. Choices can be selfish…just for our own benefit…or to please the Lord. We can always ask for His help and guidance—knowing that He loves us and wants the best for us. The choices we make impact our family, friends, work associates and neighbors…sometimes even strangers. Choose wisely.
But if you refuse to serve the LORD, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15

Who are those who fear the LORD? He will show them the path they should choose. Psalm 25:12

Choose a good reputation over great riches; being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold. Proverbs 22:1

Willing to obey you. Obedience involves a surrender of our will, of being willing to submit to another’s will, whether it is obedience to the Lord God Himself or to a covenant made between two people and God—as in marriage vows. Love, honor and obey. Not everyone uses that phrase in their exchange of wedding vows, but it is a pledge to honor God as well as the other person. Honor God by honoring and obeying His commandments. No adultery…no lies. God expects us to obey…but it is by faith that we are saved.
Clearly, God's promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was based not on his obedience to God's law, but on a right relationship with God that comes by faith. If God's promise is only for those who obey the law, then faith is not necessary and the promise is pointless. For the law always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. (The only way to avoid breaking the law is to have no law to break!) So the promise is received by faith. It is given as a free gift. And we are all certain to receive it, whether or not we live according to the law of Moses, if we have faith like Abraham's. For Abraham is the father of all who believe. Romans 4:13-16 

While Jesus was here on earth, he offered prayers and pleadings, with a loud cry and tears, to the one who could rescue him from death. And God heard his prayers because of his deep reverence for God. Even though Jesus was God's Son, he learned obedience from the things he suffered. Hebrews 5:7-8
During His last supper with His disciples, Jesus reminded them about His love and the obedience that He desired from them.
I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father's commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you. There is no greater love than to lay down one's life for one's friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. John 15:9-14
Are you willing to obey? I choose, once again, today to serve God…and to obey His word to the best of my ability. I’m not perfect…just wanting to please the Lord in all that I think, say and do.k

Review this scripture passage for memorization.
Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
Do not banish me from your presence,
and don't take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
How can you apply each of these portions of the scripture passage to your life?

Prayer ~ Help me—as well as my family, friends and neighbors to be willing to be obedient and to love each other…as You love each of us.  

Daily Bible Reading: Isaiah 40-43

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
Next Wednesday would have been my sister, Shirley’s 71th birthday. She was killed over twenty-nine years ago in a domestic violence incident. She was a great cook…and baker. Her apple pies were the best and growing up she won several blue ribbons at the county fair for those great pies. To honor her I want to share her favorite pie crust and apple pie recipes with you.

Pie Crust
2 c. flour
1 tsp salt
¾ c shortening
¼ c cold water

Mix 1/3 cup flour and the ¼ cup water into a paste. Set aside. Cut the shortening into the remaining flour until pea-sized lumps. Add the flour-water paste. Mix well. Divide into 2 parts. Roll out crusts and place in pie tin.

Note: This may be doubled to make more pies. It is our family’s favorite pie crust recipe. Always a flaky crust. The original recipe came from a 1954 Betty Furness Westinghouse Cook Book. The cover is torn off and it is a well-used cook book, especially the pie section.

Shirley’s All-American Apple Pie
5 c thinly sliced, pealed apples
1 c sugar
2 Tbsp flour
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp butter
Pastry for 2 crust 9” pie

Combine sugar, flour, spices, salt and lemon juice. Add apples. Toss to mix.
Roll out pastry, line pie pan. Trim off overhanging pastry. Roll pastry for top. Add half the apple mixture. Dot with butter. Add the remaining apples. Moisten the rim of the crust with water. Adjust top crust, trimming so there is about ½ inch overhang. Fold edges of crust together and seal rim by pressing together. Flute edge. Brush crust with milk. Add vent holes—usually cut in the letter “A” for apple.

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 50-60 minutes or until apples test done with a fork. You may want to put foil around the edge of the pie crust before baking and remove for the last 15 minutes.

Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

© 2019 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: