Friday, July 12, 2019

Sound of Silence


Memory Verse:
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure. 1 Corinthians 10:13

Have you memorized this scripture passage?  Are you tempted not to try?
The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience.
And God is faithful.
He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand.
When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.
1 Corinthians 10:13 He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand.



If the temptation seems overwhelming you may be falling into depression. This old Simon and Garfunkel song has been going around in my head lately. I recently discovered that it describes the darkness of depression and perhaps as a vision prophesied the silence of our current generation as they silently speak on their cell phones--tapping out their text messages. Do you silently do that?

The butterfly makes no noise.
The Sound of Silence.
As the butterfly flies away...it is a way of escape.
Sound of Silence written by Paul Simon
Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly, creeping
Left its seeds while I was, sleeping
And the vision, that was planted in my brain... still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a streetlamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound, of silence

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs, that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the sound, of silence

"Fools," said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows"
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed, in the wells, of silence

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls,
And tenement halls
And whispered in the sounds, of silence"

But remember God is faithful. Even if depression is testing you, you can trust God to help you. He will make a way out…a way of escape. Don’t be overcome by the darkness. Think about the silence that Jesus experienced during one of His trials, before His crucifixion.                                             

But Jesus was silent and made no reply. Then the high priest asked him, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?" Mark 14:61

Just as described by Isaiah…
He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth. Isaiah 53:7
Jesus kept silent. Could you have done that? I don’t think that I could. I would have been sticking my foot in my mouth and telling them that they were all wrong…maybe that God had a plan…and that unless they changed their ways they would be doomed. Or would I have kept silent? I can only speculate.

What will Jesus say to His accusers? Do you know the rest of the story? Speak now…or forever hold your peace. That is a familiar line that is used in marriage rituals. Let everyone know if you have any objections.  Remember that within the last few hours Jesus had just prayed…
"Abba, Father," he cried out, "everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine." Mark 14:36
God’s will was for Jesus to be…silent… at least for a few minutes. And that is just what He did. He was silent. Next listen closely to what He said…read ahead in Mark 14.

Prayer ~ Lord God, I want to please You. You were silent. Help me to bring You glory by thinking before I speak. May my silence not be from the trial of depression but let me be attuned to Your Holy Spirit and be silent when I need to be.

Daily Bible Reading: Amos 6-9                                                              

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
As usual every Friday is Feast Day—Feasting at the King’s Table. We can’t live on just spiritual food …nor can we live on bread alone. We’ve got to have some meat, veggies, fruit and fat. Don’t forget the good fats!

Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) are good for our bodies. Those contain antioxidants and actually help to lower cholesterol. Some of the foods that contain monounsaturated fats include: olive oil; avocados; nuts and seed—especially almonds, peanuts, and sunflower seeds; olives; and even chocolate. Try to have a MUFA with each meal, such as 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter, ¼ avocado, no more than 10 olives, 2 tablespoons raw nuts, ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips, a serving of your favorite dark chocolate bar (usually about 2 squares), or 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Watch the serving size of your MUFAs—the calories can add up and deter any weight loss you for which are striving.

© 2019 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: