Thursday, January 14, 2016

Give Me Wisdom

Solomon became king and sat on the throne of  David his father, and his kingdom was firmly established. 1 Kings 2:12

At that time the people of Israel sacrificed their offerings at local places of worship, for a temple honoring the name of the LORD had not yet been built. Solomon loved the LORD and followed all the decrees of his father, David, except that Solomon, too, offered sacrifices and burned incense at the local places of worship. The most important of these places of worship was at Gibeon, so the king went there and sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings. That night the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream, and God said, "What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!" ... Give me an understanding heart so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between right and wrong. For who by himself is able to govern this great people of yours?" The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom. So God replied, "Because you have asked for wisdom in governing my people with justice and have not asked for a long life or wealth or the death of your enemies-- I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have! And I will also give you what you did not ask for--riches and fame! No other king in all the world will be compared to you for the rest of your life! And if you follow me and obey my decrees and my commands as your father, David, did, I will give you a long life." 1 Kings 3:2-5, 9-14

Give me wisdom. That was Solomon’s wish…his petition to the Lord God. How often have you dreamed about getting whatever you wanted? Lots of people have been wishing for megabucks and spending a few dollars on lottery tickets. But would that buy them wisdom? Never! Wisdom can’t be purchased. You can get it by asking God for it…just like Solomon did. You don’t have to be dreaming to do it…just pray and ask God. If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. James 1:5.  Jesus has told us that whatever we ask for, believing in Him, that we will be given it. Speaking to His disciples about the coming of the Holy Spirit, Jesus said…In that day you will not question Me about anything. Truly, truly, I say to you, if you ask the Father for anything in My name, He will give it to you. Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full. John 16:23-24 NASB. That doesn’t mean if we ask for a red Ferrari that we’ll get it…or even if we ask for health, wealth or a good parking place. There are no specific formulas for prayers or assurances to receiving answers to prayers. It is God’s prerogative—His will—to grant prayer requests of His choice.  I’m sure that there were people praying to win that lotto jackpot. Were they wanting to have unbounded wealth and quit their jobs? Did they want to give some of it away? Maybe. It was just such a big jackpot that it is beyond my imagination how to deal with that much money. I didn’t buy a ticket. I think I’d rather have wisdom…wisdom in dealing with life and death…than riches beyond my dreams. Do you seek God and His will for your life?

Prayer ~ Lord, I do want wisdom and understanding that I would be able to discern what Your will is for my life and live in a way that is pleasing to You—and that my life would be continually filled with joy.

© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

No comments: