Friday, January 29, 2016

Do You Have to be Old to Be Wise?

Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said, "I am young and you are old, so I held back from telling you what I think. I thought, 'Those who are older should speak, for wisdom comes with age.' But there is a spirit within people, the breath of the Almighty within them, that makes them intelligent. Sometimes the elders are not wise. Sometimes the aged do not understand justice. So listen to me, and let me tell you what I think.” Job 32:6-10

Elihu was a young man who spoke to Job after his older friend. He said… So listen to me, and let me tell you what I think. He didn’t think much of what Job’s friends had told Job and Elihu was angry with Job because he justified himself before God. This young man acknowledged that not all older people, Job’s three friends in particular, are wise just because they are old. I agree, but I will admit that I know several people who are 85 or older who are very wise folks. My wonderful Aunt Mercedes who is turning 90 today is a prime example of walking wisdom! She still walks a mile or two every day, weather permitting. She is active in her retirement community, attends a weekly Bible study…and actually reads her Bible every day. Can we all say that? Another over 90 couple in our family back in Michigan, Aunt Carole and Uncle Auddie, are 91 and 95 respectively…and respectfully, and they are both sharp as a tack and still sharing their wonderful sense of humor and wisdom with us all. Loving, caring, wise family members.

Not all people over 85 or 90 have the mental capacity to share their wisdom…so listen up to some of the elders in your life before they approach the senile, absent-minded years. Gain the wisdom that you can. Of course there are those young folks, like Elihu, in our lives who boast of their wisdom and don’t hesitate to tell you what they “think.” Listen closely to everyone who speaks and then judge for yourself if they are imparting wisdom or just being foolish. Can you discern their motives for speaking up and speaking out on some matter? Are they following God’s will and His plan for their lives? Are they encouraging? God want us to encourage others and to show our love…His love…for those around us. Are you showing and sharing God’s love and wisdom?

Prayer ~ Lord God, may I hold my tongue and not always let others know what I think so that when I do speak I will have Your words and Your wisdom on my lips—encouraging others and guiding them in Your ways.

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
Wisdom from Aunt Mercedes.

Use 1 tablespoon of coconut oil every morning in your coffee, or tea, to get rid of the belly fat!
It works.
Happy 90th Birthday, Auntie Merc!
May our Lord continue to bless you! Be Still and Know that He IS God!

© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

No comments: