Friday, March 21, 2014

God is Faithful

Day 21 of 30 days of Praying the Name and Attributes of God

I will sing of the LORD's unfailing love forever! Young and old will hear of your faithfulness. Your unfailing love will last forever. Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens. The LORD said, "I have made a covenant with David, my chosen servant. I have sworn this oath to him: 'I will establish your descendants as kings forever; they will sit on your throne from now until eternity.'" All heaven will praise your great wonders, LORD; myriads of angels will praise you for your faithfulness. For who in all of heaven can compare with the LORD? What mightiest angel is anything like the LORD? The highest angelic powers stand in awe of God. He is far more awesome than all who surround his throne. O LORD God of Heaven's Armies! Where is there anyone as mighty as you, O LORD? You are entirely faithful. Psalms 89:1-8 NLT 

There is a kids worship song that sings of the Lord’s faithfulness…
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever
I will sing, I will sing.
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever,
I will sing of the mercies of the Lord.

With my mouth will I make known
Thy faithfulness, Thy faithfulness.
With my mouth will I make known
Thy faithfulness to all generations.
God is faithful—He has not given up on the Israelite people who for thousands of years have repeatedly turned their back on Him and then embraced Him again and again. (See the Book of Judges.) Are we really any different from them? He is faithful to us, too. Faithful to train us, protect us…and love us. We need to let others know about His faithfulness…about what He has done in our lives.

RSVP: Jesus is calling us today to rely on the faithfulness of God to meet our needs and to share about that faithfulness. Do you need something…ask. How are you going to respond to His call today? 
 
Prayer~ Jesus, You taught… Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. Matthew 7:7. So I am asking today for more faith…for me to rely on God more and trust Him to meet my every need…and those of my children, grandchildren, neighbors, friends, and other family members. God is Faithful…help me to be faithful in telling others how generous He has been to me. With my mouth I will make known His faithfulness…to all generation. 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table
Sardines are high in calcium, omega-3s, vitamin D, and protein—and are low in mercury. So grab a can the next time you go to the store and eat up. They are great in salads. For variety throw them into a fish stew like this Portuguese Caldeirada.

Caldeirada De Peixe (Portuguese Fish Stew)  Serves 8
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 onions, cut in half then sliced thin
2 red peppers, sliced thin
3 garlic cloves, minced
10 ounces potatoes, peeled and sliced in 1/2 inch slices
4 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
4 cups vegetable broth (optional)
2 bay leaves
4 black peppercorns
1 pinch saffron
1 lb swordfish, 1 1/2 inch diced (sardines, mackerel or tuna ie oily fish)
1 lb haddock, 1 1/2 inch diced (or sea bass or monkfish, ie white fish)
16 large shrimp, peeled tails intact
16 mussels
16 clams
fresh cilantro ( to garnish)

  1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium low heat, add onion, peppers, garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, about 10 minutes.
  2. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
  3. Add potato, tomato, wine, broth if using, bay leaves, peppercorns, and saffron; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until potato is just tender, about 20 minutes.
  4. Arrange fish cubes over onion mixture, then layer on shrimp, then mussels and clams; cover, cook until shells open, about 6 to 8 minutes (discard any shells that do not open).
  5. Ladle stew into serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.
  6. Serve with crusty garlic bread.
© 2014 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.

No comments: