Saturday, May 5, 2012

May 5 – Bread of Life


John 6:41-58
“I am the bread of life.” (v. 48) (NASB)
I love bread. Any kind of bread from pancakes to rich dense multigrain bread, homemade warm and fresh from the oven. The first three years of my marriage I made all our bread except for about six loaves. I even tried to make hamburger buns which turned out OK, but just not like the grocery store ones. I really liked the rye and pumpernickel loaves. There is something personal about the contact with the dough, measuring the ingredients, mixing, kneading it, watching it rise, and that fresh yeasty smell as it bakes that gives a sense of joy and accomplishment. I haven’t made much bread lately even though now I have a bread machine. And we just don’t eat much bread these days…too many carbs. We’re trying to be healthy so that we can live long lives.
The Bread of Life is that promise of eternal life. Jesus continues this discussion with Jewish leaders and says something very important, (v. 44) “No one can come to Me, unless the Father who sent Me draws him….” God chooses us, drawing us to Him. Paul repeats this theme in Colossians 3:12, “And so, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved…”  

I feel privileged to know God, and to be known by Him. He chose me, but I’ve responded---taking that step forward, coming to Jesus, believing He is the Son of God and thus accepting the gift that God the Father has provided. God gives us a gift every day---a relationship with His beloved Son and with Him. Have you opened God’s gift yet today? It is wrapped in very special paper, His love.

 Dear God, You are a special gift that I look forward to everyday. I want to learn more about You---today. Show me something special about Yourself that I will want to share with others. Thanks for being You.

© 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.


No comments: