Sunday, May 13, 2012

May 13 – Satisfied?

Proverbs 13:25

The righteous has enough to satisfy his appetite, but the stomach of the wicked is in need. (NASB)

Is your appetite ever satisfied? What does that for you? Is it the finest chocolate or a nice big juicy steak? Eating your favorite food until you are full? Is that really satisfying? What does it take to be righteous? It is characterized by uprightness or morality, acting in an upright, moral way; virtuous; blameless. So what food satisfies a virtuous person? And the wicked---who are they? Those who are morally bad, who displease God---who chose evil ways. This verse says their stomach is in need---that they are hungry. Is it that insatiable hunger that drives one to sneak food and cheat on diets? Are you hungry now?  So many questions---so little time! Everyone feels hungry at some time, the righteous and the wicked.   

I could eat most any time of the day…at least a little snack, continually grazing until I am satisfied. Like an old cow on our farm, just eating grass and hay and then sitting around chewing her cud---looking very satisfied. Being a Christian, and living in an upright moral way, I do consider myself to be seeking to live righteously. In an effort not to gain any extra pounds as I get older, I find myself seeking to curb my appetite. A week ago or so my sister-in-law posted her "top ten best foodie moments" and encouraged others to share their favorite awesome meal, actual bite of food, or time around a table. I didn’t post mine yet, but thought about some favorites during my lifetime of eating and enjoying food. One of my favorites includes making chocolate chip cookies with my grandson, Zander, eating them warm from the oven and then writing a recipe story about cooking together. The best cookie ever, though was my Grandmother’s soft buttermilk ginger cookies that seemed to come from a bottomless cookie jar and always just melted in my mouth. I wish I had the recipe for those! An awesome meal was a seven course gourmet dinner aboard a river boat on the Elbe River in Germany, on our way to Prague; ending the meal with cheese and nuts. That was after dessert---and such a delightful and tasty final course. Then there was the Lobster in Maine! We had the lobster cooked at the fish market and took it back to our “home” on wheels---and ate it with a fresh green salad, with produce from a local market. Simply the best! A recent favorite was barbequed oysters at Mike’s Restaurant in Ocean Shores, Washington. Yummy! That is only five favorites for now. How many favorites do you have? Spiritually, my favorite “meal” has probably been reading the book of Ruth, and I’ll have to say that memorizing Psalm 1 which I can recall after nearly fifty years always leaves a wonderful “taste” that I find satisfying.

Proverbs 13:18 tells us that poverty and shame will come to those who are not disciplined. So the righteous person, being disciplined enough to seek, follow, and share the love of the Lord will not come to shame. Part of that discipline may be memorizing scripture that will satisfy and encourage your spirit. Are you including some spiritual food on your plate today?

Lord, satisfy our appetites today with tasty food and with words from your Word that would encourage and strength us.

Happy Mother's Day!
© 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.


No comments: