Tuesday, August 25, 2020

What Did Your Tongue Just Say?

Meditate. Consider the words you speak.

If you claim to be religious but don't control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. James 1:26

When I was hiking recently I stopped to adjust the tongue of my shoe. Then I thought about the tongue in my mouth. Did it need “adjusting” too? How about a spiritual adjustment? What we say can have such an impact for good or bad on the person with whom we are speaking. Have you said anything lately that you just wish you hadn’t said? Sometimes it is more the way it is said than the actual words that are expressed. My husband is a bit hard of hearing and sometimes I feel like I am yelling at him—and the words just seem harsh at a higher volume. There are many verses dealing with the tongue. Here are just a few.

A psalm of David. I said to myself, "I will watch what I do and not sin in what I say. I will hold my tongue when the ungodly are around me." Psalm 39:1

Those who control their tongue will have a long life; opening your mouth can ruin everything. Proverbs 13:3

Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:4

The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences. Proverbs 18:21

Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble. Proverbs 21:23

For the Scriptures say, "'As surely as I live,' says the LORD, 'every knee will bend to me, and every tongue will confess and give praise to God.'" Romans 14:11

For the Scriptures say, "If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. 1 Peter 3:10

The verse from Proverbs 21:23 is a good one for me to remember. I need to keep my mouth shut, and …stay out of trouble. If I just keep my mouth shut, I won’t offend anyone. But then again, will they be offended if I don’t speak? Ugh. I don’t want to live to please others…I just want to please the Lord. It is such a delicate balance. In pleasing others, am I pleasing the Lord? In pleasing the Lord, am I pleasing others?

I know that one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord. For me, I want to bow my knee and speak words of praise and adoration daily, now. Why wait until He returns? Is Jesus your Lord and Savior? Are you willing to show Him praise everyday by bowing your knee and speaking words of praise to Him?

Prayer ~ Hallelujah Lord Jesus! You are King of Kings and Lord of Lords. I praise Your Holy Name today…and always. Please Lord, give me wisdom that I would live to please You…and encourage others to do the same.

Verse of Salvation ~ The LORD is my strength and my song; he has given me victory (salvation). This is my God, and I will praise him—my father's God, and I will exalt him! Exodus 15:2

© 2020 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

Unless otherwise indicated, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 

Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character available at Amazon.com


No comments: