Thursday, June 28, 2018

Watch the Fig Tree


Now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its branches bud and its leaves begin to sprout, you know that summer is near. In the same way, when you see all these things taking place, you can know that his return is very near, right at the door. I tell you the truth, this generation will not pass from the scene before all these things take place. Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear.  Mark 13:28-31

My own fig tree...with leaves and fruit.
Watch the fig tree. The one in my backyard is getting new fruit right now…and growing. I covered it with netting hoping to keep the local backyard squirrel from eating the fruit. He already got a couple before I covered it.

Watch the events of the world. Wars, rumors of wars, famines and earthquakes. That last one is pretty awesome. You can watch YouTube videos of the action happening currently at the volcano which had a 5.3 magnitude earthquake on June 25, 2018, or go to the United State Geological Survey site https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_maps.html to see the current lava flows. Exciting, dangerous times for people there on the Big Island of Hawaii. Keep an eye on the events there at the Kilauea volcano…just as if you were watching the fig tree.

Jesus said…Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will never disappear. John wrote about such an event in the book of Revelation when a new heaven and earth appear.
Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the old heaven and the old earth had disappeared. And the sea was also gone. And I saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven like a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. Revelation 21:1-2
What a change that will be. A new heaven and a new earth—with no sea—no darkness. We will be changed…and in the new city of Jerusalem. Isaiah predicted God establishing this new heaven and earth.
Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore. Be glad; rejoice forever in my creation! And look! I will create Jerusalem as a place of happiness. Her people will be a source of joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and delight in my people. And the sound of weeping and crying will be heard in it no more. Isaiah 65:17-19
So, watch and be ready. Just as the fig tree puts forth new leaves, we know that summer is coming…and likewise when you hear of wars, earthquakes and famines at catastrophic levels you know that God’s words will be fulfilled. Jesus said His words will never disappear...they will last forever.

Prayer ~Lord, I so look forward to being in Your presence continually—filled with the Holy Spirit. Give me wisdom and words of encouragement for others that we would all stand firm in You, Christ. May those I meet that don’t know You, see You in me…and may I be so bold as to share Your Good News with them.

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 20-21
© 2018 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: