Saturday, February 10, 2018

What Do You Treasure?

Jesus' classic words from The Sermon on the Mount...
Don't store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be. Matthew 6:19-21
Will the moth eat your treasure?
What do you treasure? Gold, silver, money, luxury homes, shoes, designer clothes, cars, boats, motorcycles or motor homes? Jesus didn't use specific scripture from the Old Testament but the concept is there.
    - My son, keep my words and treasure my commandments within you. Proverbs 7:1 (NASB)
    - Better is a little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and turmoil with it. Proverbs 15:16 (NASB)
    - Don't wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. In the blink of an eye wealth disappears, for it will sprout wings and fly away like an eagle. Proverbs 23:4-5
     - And I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good for them. I will put a desire in their hearts to worship me, and they will never leave me. Jeremiah 32:40 

In my opinion, the best advice in the Old Testament concerning treasure is about wisdom--found in Proverbs.
     - My child, listen to what I say, and treasure my commands. Tune your ears to wisdom, and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the LORD, and you will gain knowledge of God. For the LORD grants wisdom! From his mouth come knowledge and understanding. He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy. Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you safe. Proverbs 2:1-11 

I certainly value and treasure wisdom and understanding--above gold, a fancy house or designer clothes--above anything except the love of God. How about you---what do you treasure?  
     - May he grant your heart's desires and make all your plans succeed. Psalm 20:4



Prayer ~ Lord Jesus...Please grant wisdom and understanding to me, to my family, friends and neighbors. With wisdom please also help us all to make good decisions---this is the desire of my heart -- and my frequent prayer. Thank You--for always hearing my prayers and valuing relationships with people--with me. That is my treasure, too--relationships. I'll admit I'm struggling with a couple of relationships now--help me Lord to mend fences and renew our bonds. 

Daily Bible Reading: Exodus 33-35

Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍
© 2018 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 
GqqqAll scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfmwww..org/daily reading.        

No comments: