Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Run in Obedience…to The Father

However, if you do not listen to me or obey all these commands, and if you break my covenant by rejecting my decrees, treating my regulations with contempt, and refusing to obey my commands, I will punish you. I will bring sudden terrors upon you—wasting diseases and burning fevers that will cause your eyes to fail and your life to ebb away. You will plant your crops in vain because your enemies will eat them. I will turn against you, and you will be defeated by your enemies. Those who hate you will rule over you, and you will run even when no one is chasing you! Leviticus 26:14-17

Jesus said…If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. John 14:15 NASB. He is repeating what was said throughout the Old Testament. Keep God’s commandments. We are told that at least 113 times in the New American Standard Bible translation. Obey…keep God’s commandments.
Know therefore that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God, who keeps His covenant and His lovingkindness to a thousandth generation with those who love Him and keep His commandments…. Deuteronomy 7:9 NASB

Serve only the LORD your God and fear him alone. Obey his commands, listen to his voice, and cling to him. Deuteronomy 13:4

God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says, for the time is near. Revelation 1:3 NLT

If…if…I will…I will…I will. God has a plan set out before the Israelites. If they would just listen…and obey. If not they could count on disaster from the hand of God. Punishment. Terror. Disease. Fevers. Stolen crops. Defeat. Worst of all is that God Himself will turn against them. No wonder He says that they will run even when no one is chasing them. Such fear.

Would more laws motivate them to listen and obey? There were so many laws assigned by God that they must have been just totally overwhelmed at this point. The oppressive slave drivers in Egypt must have whipped them into obedience…and now God was just giving them rules to follow. They had choices to make. If you obey…then I will be your God and bless you. If you don’t obey…expect punishment.

Is this guy chasing you? Alligator at Charleston Museum.
Can we expect any less? Yes. We are under God’s grace. His unmerited favor. How blessed we are—to have Jesus pay for our sins, but we are still expected to live a life of holiness--obedience. God wants us to respect Him by showing our obedience to Him and love to others. That way we will never have to run without being chased…unless we run just for exercise. The time is near…are you running to God or away from Him?

Prayer ~ Lord God, as Your child, I am listening to You and trying to do as You say, so I will have a long, good life. You are teaching me wisdom's ways and leading me in straight paths. When I walk, I won't be held back; when I run, I won't stumble. I am taking hold of Your instructions and I won't let them go. I guard them, for they are the key to life. Proverbs 4:10-13.

Daily Bible Reading: February 27 – Numbers 8-10

Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. šŸ‘
© 2018 Text and Photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

No comments: