Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Don’t Be Deceived - Listen

I want you to know how much I have agonized for you and for the church at Laodicea, and for many other believers who have never met me personally. I want them to be encouraged and knit together by strong ties of love. I want them to have complete confidence that they understand God's mysterious plan, which is Christ Himself. In Him lie hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I am telling you this so no one will deceive you with well-crafted arguments. Colossians 2:1-4

Paul wrote to the church at Colessea and here instructed them to send the letter on to the church at Laedicoea.  Sort of an email forward of today. How often do you do that? When this letter has been read among you, have it read also in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you also read the letter from Laodicea. Colossians 4:16 (HCSB).

This letter was meant to encourage--love one another...just as Jesus taught. In addition, as Paul already explained, Christ is for everyone--not just for the Jews. What an awesome gift to the Gentiles. Jesus is the source of eternal life in addition to all spiritual wisdom and knowledge. Don't be deceived.
Other wisdom may sound good--or look pretty--like this mushroom, but it can be deadly. Be careful of the knowledge and wisdom that you trust--that you rely on to guide you. Step by step look to the Lord.  Rely on the wisdom of Jesus.  It is pure. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without favoritism and hypocrisy. James 3:17 HCSB

Later on John was given these words to write as recorded in Revelation 3:14-22.
Write to the angel of the church in Laodicea: “The Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Originator of God’s creation says: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I am going to vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ‘I’m rich; I have become wealthy and need nothing,’ and you don’t know that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked, I advise you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire so that you may be rich, white clothes so that you may be dressed and your shameful nakedness not be exposed, and ointment to spread on your eyes so that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and discipline. So be committed and repent. Listen! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and have dinner with him, and he with Me. The victor: I will give him the right to sit with Me on My throne, just as I also won the victory and sat down with My Father on His throne. "Anyone who has an ear should listen to what the Spirit says to the churches.”

The church at Laodicea became indifferent, blasé, complacent, maybe just uncaring. They had been told that Jesus Christ was the source of wisdom and knowledge--and they shouldn't be deceived. They went beyond being fooled to just not caring. Not fired up about sharing Christ with others--but not cold either.  Hmmm. How can that be? But apparently that is how they were. Are we any different today? Seek Jesus first--with passion. Listen up.

Prayer ~ Lord Jesus, may we never be complacent about You--Your power and Your love. 

© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

No comments: