Sunday, December 22, 2019

Weary? Come to Me...

Burdened? Consider these verses:
Then Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light." Matthew 11:28-30

This is such a busy, hectic time of the year. School is out and everyone is rushing around trying to create the ideal holiday for everyone they know, likely spending too much money on gifts that no one really needs. God didn't intend for people to focus on material things in "celebration" of His Son's birthday, especially when they may not even recognize Jesus' existence. Are you burdened at this time of the year...or all year? Jesus is offering to give you "rest" from whatever is causing your stressful load.

Single yoke used by one person carrying two heavy loads.
Charleston, SC Museum
We don't often see a yoke these days--but it was common in Jesus time and even in all agricultural communities until machinery took over. For Jesus to offer to share our load...to come alongside of us with His yoke is comforting in itself. He actually takes our burden...lightening our load. Give Him a try. Unload your problems on Him...let Him give you a rest. Prayer allows you to share your difficulties, disappointment, unmet expectations, stresses, grief, and loneliness.

Prayer ~ Jesus, take my burdens. I trust You to teach me and give me rest for my soul. 

Daily Bible Reading: Hebrews 7-10

Only 3 Days Until Christmas
© 2019 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍


No comments: