Saturday, December 21, 2019

The Lonely at Christmas

Meditate on this...and consider how those who are lonely feel at this time of the year.

A prayer of one overwhelmed with trouble, pouring out problems before the LORD
LORD, hear my prayer! Listen to my plea! Don't turn away from me in my time of distress. Bend down to listen, and answer me quickly when I call to you. For my days disappear like smoke, and my bones burn like red-hot coals. My heart is sick, withered like grass, and I have lost my appetite. Because of my groaning, I am reduced to skin and bones. I am like an owl in the desert, like a little owl in a far-off wilderness. I lie awake, lonely as a solitary bird on the roof. My enemies taunt me day after day. They mock and curse me.  Psalm 102:1-8

Stop from your holiday preparations for a minute and consider how others feel...like those who are in hospitals and can't take part in holiday festivities. Lonely. There are always lonely people. With my vivid imagination, I was thinking that this person's enemies...could very likely be some horrendous germ--an awful bacteria eating away at their body. It could also be a mental problem that haunts them and drives them into sickness and despair. An overwhelming obstacle in one's life that blocks that person from having good healthy relationships or takes away their confidence in themselves. Depression is such an enemy. What can we do to combat those enemies?

The first step that I see is just what this Psalmist did...pray. Prayer is powerful.
Do you feel like you are in a cesspool?
Lonely and abandoned?
     Are any of you sick? You should call for the elders of the church to come and pray over you, anointing you with oil in the name of the Lord. Such a prayer offered in faith will heal the sick, and the Lord will make you well. And if you have committed any sins, you will be forgiven. Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. James 5:14-16

Pray. Pray. Pray. This can be a miserable, lonely time of the year. God loves...He is love, but decisions that we make can draw us into situations that leave us lonely and feeling unloved. Can you trust God; rely on Him? He is the Truth, the Way and the Life. Prayer requests to our God are powerful and get great results.

If suicidal, then call the newly approved Federal Communications Commission new 9-8-8 number.
Other phone numbers:
     Prevention - For support  1-800-273-TALK (8255)
     HelpLine - For treatment information and referral 1-800-622-HELP (4357).

Prayer ~  Dear Jesus, touch those who are lonely, sick and groaning during this time of the year. Bless them with your love, peace and bring them joy.

Daily Bible Reading: Hebrews 1- 6

Only 4 Days Until Christmas
© 2019 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc. Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - https://www.blb.org 
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: