Saturday, April 13, 2019

Purpose…Not to Love Worldly Things

Memory Verse of the Week ~
Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. 1 John 2:15

Find the path...and walk with me.
Don't love the things of this world.
Love God, His people and His creation.
A friend recently challenged me to think about what my purpose is in life? Do you know what your purpose is in life? When I retired several years ago my purpose was to focus on my grandchildren and to spend quality time with them. That has happened somewhat…but there were four grandkiddos then and seven now. But I still would like to be more devoted to them and their activities. With three of them living across the country that has become more difficult. I need to be a bit more creative in my interactions with them. 

My other purpose in life is just writing this blog—which on some days is challenging and other days is such a joy. It is my time with the Lord…and I totally enjoy every moment of it. Still…what is my purpose? Simply to seek and serve the Lord—by serving my family, friends, neighbors and those who God allows to cross my path. To intentionally care about others. To share God's purpose with them. To love God...not to love the world. 

David cried out to the Lord
Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy! I look to you for protection. I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings until the danger passes by. I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill his purpose for me. He will send help from heaven to rescue me, disgracing those who hound me. My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness. Psalm 57:1-3
Paul taught about our bodies being living and holy sacrifices for the Lord.
And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice--the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Romans 12:1-2
Maybe that is our purpose…to be living and holy sacrifices to the Lord transformed by Him. 

Prayer ~ Lord…show me Your purpose for my life as I love You more than life itself…certainly more than anything in the world. I trust that in Your grace and mercy, You will cover me with Your love and faithfulness as You reveal Your plan for me…for You have promised… For I know the plans I have for you," says the LORD. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Samuel 18-20; Psalms 11, 59

© 2019 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: