Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Acceptance and Obedience


Memory Verse this week…
Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them." John 14:21

Acceptance and obedience. Those are two really important concepts that Jesus was teaching His disciples right after their last supper together. This was not the first time He had stressed accepting and obeying His commandments. It is an important concept in the Old Testament, too. There are promises, like wisdom, love and eternal life, linked to obeying God’s commandments.
Fear of the LORD is the foundation of true wisdom. All who obey his commandments will grow in wisdom. Praise him forever! Psalm 111:10

You must faithfully keep all my commands by putting them into practice, for I am the LORD. Leviticus 22:31

I prayed to the LORD my God and confessed: "O Lord, you are a great and awesome God!" Daniel 9:4

As Jesus was starting out on his way to Jerusalem, a man came running up to him, knelt down, and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus asked. "Only God is truly good. But to answer your question, you know the commandments: 'You must not murder. You must not commit adultery. You must not steal. You must not testify falsely. You must not cheat anyone. Honor your father and mother.'" "Teacher," the man replied, "I've obeyed all these commandments since I was young." Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. "There is still one thing you haven't done," he told him. "Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Mark 10:17-21

Obedience to God’s commandments made Zechariah and Elizabeth, parents of John the Baptist, righteous in God’s eyes. There must have been a high level of obedience in that whole family since Elizabeth and Mary, the mother of Jesus, were cousins. You can imagine the love surrounding them.
Zechariah and Elizabeth were righteous in God's eyes, careful to obey all of the Lord's commandments and regulations. Luke 1:6

No matter where you are from...or where you are going...
Love God and obey His commandments.
Signpost in Israel
Being obedient to God’s commands is as important today as it was during Old and New Testament biblical times. It is something we cannot ignore today.
And we can be sure that we know him if we obey his commandments. If someone claims, "I know God," but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth. 1 John 2:3-4

Those who obey God's commandments remain in fellowship with him, and he with them. And we know he lives in us because the Spirit he gave us lives in us. 1 John 3:24
Relationships…with God the Father, Jesus Christ our Savior and the Holy Spirit…are so important. That is what knowing God is all about. Relationship. To know Him is to love Him…and to be loved by Him. There is no greater thing in the world than the love of God. I know I am loved by God. It is that acceptance by Him that makes me want to be obedient to His commandments—to His will and His ways.

Do you know and love the Lord?

Prayer ~ Jesus, I accept Your commandments and obey them because I love You. And because I love You, I know that our Father will love me…and everyone who is obedient to Your commandments. Please continue to reveal Yourself to each of us.

Daily Bible Reading: Psalms 102-104
© 2019 Text and photos by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: