Sunday, June 11, 2017

Promise of New Covenant

But this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day, says the LORD: I will put my laws in their minds, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. Hebrews 8:10

A new covenant from God. The first covenant was a promise from God was the Mosaic Law. We see God’s promise to claim the Hebrew people as His own people, a holy nation and a kingdom of priests. God spoke to His people through Moses, in the verses below, at Mt. Saini.

"Now if you will obey me and keep my covenant, you will be my own special treasure from among all the peoples on earth; for all the earth belongs to me. And you will be my kingdom of priests, my holy nation.' This is the message you must give to the people of Israel." Exodus 19:5-6.

Paul reminds us, as he wrote to the church at Corinth, about Jesus’ promise.

He has enabled us to be ministers of His new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6.

What an important promise God gives—to be our God. He doesn’t turn His back on the Israelites or on us and expect some puny idol of a god to take care of us. No. He promises to treasure His people and take care of us…if we obey Him. That if is important. No one, except a parent, wants to take care of a whiny, obnoxious little kid. It’s about the same with us…we need to listen and decisively obey God’s commands—His word. Is that too much for God to expect of us? No whining, rebellion or doubting. I wouldn’t have it any other way. I am a people pleaser…and I want to live to please God, too. This verse in Second Corinthians promises that the Holy Spirit will give us life. That is a new spiritual life--guaranteed by the shedding of Jesus' blood.

Prayer ~ Dear Jesus, I come to You, the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, and to Your sprinkled blood, which speaks of forgiveness instead of crying out for vengeance like the blood of Abel. Hebrews 12:24. Write Your word on my heart. Thank You for being the mediator between God, the Father, and me.


Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 5-6; 2 Chronicles 2-3

© 2017 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

No comments: