Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Do You Want a Long Life?


I will reward them with a long life …. Psalm 91:16

God’s promise…a reward of a long life.  Life in Strong’s Lexicon is actually related to a root word for “hot” as in days, not nights. So this is a long number of days…or years. I’ve known some fine Christian people who have lived a long life…over 90 years—and they’ve been or are still mentally and spiritually sharp right to the end of their lives. Others I’ve known didn’t always get a long life or else dementia robbed them of their senses. God’s reward for those He chooses is especially precious when it is not only a long life but a healthy, vigorous one that allows service to Him right to the end of their life here on earth. What an honor.

We don’t get to choose if we get a long life or not. God choses. It happens. Paul wrote about life and death to the Philippians…

For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don't know which is better. I'm torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live. Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. Philippians 1:20-25.

Is God rewarding you with a long life so far? Are you making the most of your life?

Prayer ~ God, reward us with not only long life…but one that honors and glories You in all that we think, say and do.
Daily Bible Reading: Proverbs 13-15
© 2017 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.

No comments: