Saturday, July 16, 2016

Enthusiastically Repent

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline; therefore be zealous and repent. Revelation 3:19

It is so good to be loved. I can’t imagine a world without love…but I know it is there. It is there in the homes with child abuse and neglect…it is there in that sinful sex and slave trafficking that exists around the world. Heaven help us…Lord help them.

Those of us who know the Lord Jesus as our savior are blessed to be loved, unconditionally. With that love comes the correction and discipline that John writes about in this message to Laodicea (Revelation 3:14-22). Correction and discipline are not always pleasant—actually I’ve found them to be humbling. A Christian friend of mine once corrected me…and as an adult I was at first a bit taken aback. How could anyone think that they needed to point out my flaws…much less tell me that I should change my way of treating others. Hmmph. But she was right…and later I thanked her for pointing out to me that I needed to change. That was unconditional love. God loves us just how we are, but He wants us to change and be like His son Jesus. That was how my friend was treating me. Change and do things Jesus’ way. OK. I zealously repented and changed my way. Have you ever been confronted by a friend or the Holy Spirit telling you that you need to repent and change your ways? Take a look inside of you and see how God wants you to change…to be more like Jesus. Then repent of your old ways…and ask God to help you change your ways with a zeal and enthusiasm for the Lord.

Several years ago in the back of an old Bible I had written this definition for sin that was originally from Suzanne Wesley, mother of Charles and John Wesley. “Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, takes off your relish for spiritual things, whatever increases the authority of the body over the mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may seem in itself.”  So by this definition, sin can be a lot of different things to different people. Ask your children what “sin” is to them. What are their sins that they need to give up…repent? 
Beach life...rocks at Folly Beach, SC



Family Summer Activity – Do your kids know what it means to repent? Gather up some palm size or smaller rocks.  Let the kids each choose one rock and then write their sin…in one or two words…on that rock. Go to a nearby ocean, lake, creek, or river and pray for forgiveness for those sins. Have the children enthusiastically throw their rocks into the water. Those sins will never float back up to the surface…they are gone forever. If possible, let them wade out into the water…and see if they can find their rock floating, drifting or swimming. Very visual and tactile experience.

Lord God, thank you for forgiving us for our sins. As you taught in the Lord’s Prayer…forgive our sins as we forgive others. So help us to forgive those who have sinned against us, too. Thank you for friends who care enough...love enough...to confront and correct us.

Adapted from July 16, 2013…

Happy 3rd Birthday, Aaron.
Faster than the speed of lightening!

© 2016 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

No comments: