Thursday, March 29, 2012

March 29 - Transfiguration of “My Beloved Son”

Matthew 17:1-13  

Jesus took Peter, James, and John up a high mountain with Him and He was transfigured before them. Moses and Elijah appeared before them and spoke with Jesus.

Mt. Hermon
I wasn’t my father’s favorite child. My older sister was his favorite daughter. She was near perfect, easy to get along with, didn’t act up or make a lot of racket when we were away from home, pretty (no ugly acne when she was a teenager), listened attentively, had such good grades that she was Salutatorian of her High School graduating class, and although she married someone none of us cared for, she was still Daddy’s favorite. It has just been in the last couple of years by watching old home movies that I've come to realize how precious she was to him. I’m sure that he would have introduced her as “My Beloved Child” if there had been a chance to do that. They are both deceased now…so we’ll never know.

God was obviously pleased with Jesus to repeat what He had already said, “This is My Beloved Son.”  Remember when Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist (see Matthew 3:1-17) (February 4 Banquet With The King). The Spirit of God descended as a dove and a voice from Heaven spoke, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”  Now God speaks again and says, “This is My beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased; listen to Him.”  LISTEN to Him!  God the Father wants us to Listen to Jesus. Jesus tells us in John 7:16-17 that His teachings are from the one who sent Him, the Heavenly Father. So when we listen to Jesus, we are listening to the Father. Along that same line in John 5:19-47 Jesus explains that He does nothing of Himself---only what He see the Father doing. Maybe that should be a clue to us that our children will do as we do. Are you careful what you do and say?

Lord, help me to be a good example to my children, and grandchildren, and to do and say things that are pleasing to you and nurturing to them.

No comments: