Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21 - The Kingdom of Heaven is like...

Matthew 13:31-33, 44-52 

“Have you understood all these things?” Jesus asked.

Whenever someone asks me if I “understand,” I always want to respond “Sure---of course”. I don’t want to look stupid or dumb. But in reality I may not have totally processed the information or directions. In a few second, as I rethink it—I do understand. Have you felt like that? I certainly understand wanting to find hidden treasure or purchasing a fine pearl.  

Jesus gave several examples of what the Kingdom of Heaven is like: a mustard seed, leaven, hidden treasure, a pearl, a fishing net. He spoke in parables so that those who were paying attention would understand. He spoke about common everyday items that the people could relate to in a timeless fashion. We can still relate to some of these examples, although few people fish with nets today or even make their own bread.

This fish, below, was the “Peter Fish” meal at the Sea of Galilee in Israel, caught with a typical fishing net as shown in this other photo.

With the fishing net, lots of different fish were caught, just like lots of different people hear Jesus’ message today. The fish were then sorted out, the good ones in one pile and the others in another pile that were thrown away. That is pretty clear, just like the weeds and the wheat at the end of the age. The wicked will go into the fire and righteous into the Master’s keeping. To be the best and put into the Master’s good pile, we have to use our ears, listen closely, and choose to live right. “He who has ears, let him hear.”

Lord, I’m listening to your parables today. I choose to follow you and live in a way that pleases you. Righteous.

© 2011 by Mickey M. Hunacek.  All rights reserved.
 

No comments: