Saturday, March 24, 2012

March 24 - Heart Thoughts: Defiled or Tasty

 Matthew 15:16-20

“Are you still lacking in understanding also? …But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile man.” (NASB)

Defile—corrupt or to make unclean or impure. Jesus was teaching here that it isn’t what we eat and drink that pollutes us. It is evil thoughts that become rotten words---and those come from the heart. Just as it is important to wash our hands before we eat---to eliminate germs, it is also important to get our hearts clean. And how do we do that?  Confess our sins to God and to one another. Just as Jesus and John the Baptist taught---confess and repent. Turn from our evil ways.

I’m sure that bad words don’t taste good---I know, I’ve tasted them. Ugh!  Pure thought and good words are much tastier. I know---I’ve tasted them, too.

If you lack understanding of this, then ask for wisdom.  In James 1:5 it says, “But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” So ask, and you will receive, wisdom to understand and apply Jesus teachings to your life that what comes out of your heart and mouth would be clean, uncorrupted, pleasing to the Lord, your friends  and family.
Lord, help me to eliminate the germy thoughts and words from my heart and mind today---and feast on some tasty words that bring joy to you, to me, and to those around me.
  

© 2011 by Mickey M. Hunacek.  All rights reserved.

No comments: