Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22 – Judging

Matthew 7:1-6
Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

Years ago I was part of a Puppet Ministry at the Base Chapel---in New Mexico, South Carolina and then at the Richland Nazarene Church. In South Carolina I wrote a script using this scripture. The Dad puppet was reading the newspaper and talking to the Mom puppet---criticizing her. Then he puts the paper down and the audience can see the “log” sticking out of his eye. Get that LOG out of your eye---so that you can see the little speck in your brother’s eye. What an illustration.  Jesus was so wise and the picture this paints for us is still appropriate.

What “log” is in your eye? Are you judging others for some insignificant thing in their life---yet you have a big issue in your own life? Maybe it isn’t something “insignificant” in someone else’s life---maybe they are going through some rough marital issues---but you can’t council them if you are dealing with “lust” in your own life. Deal with your own issues before you try to help someone else.

A young lady told me once that she and her husband were getting a divorce. I had no idea they were having “marital issues.’  She said they just weren’t happy. Inwardly I freaked!  NOT HAPPY!   What has “happiness” got to do with marriage and divorce. There is a cycle in marriage where you just may NOT be “happy.”  After 30 years (now almost 40 years) of marriage, I had been through a lot of ups and downs---but we stayed committed to each other. We have made that promise---til death do us part---and we’re keeping that promise. Happiness is a choice---it doesn’t just happen---and there is no promise that marriage will bring happiness. But we can’t go around judging others for their decisions. Listen to them, counsel if they ask for it---but don’t judge. What is the difference between counseling and judging? In counseling someone LISTENS and offers insight and possibly suggestions for options. In judging, well that would be criticizing someone for their actions, telling them what they did WRONG---and what they think the other person SHOULD DO. If I did something wrong or made a decision that didn’t seem very wise at the time---I’d rather be “counseled” than scolded. No one likes to be told they are wrong---but there is a time for everything and if you are wrong—well---you may be wrong. Seek God’s counsel. If given the opportunity to counsel someone else---consider your words carefully. Pray for them…and with them.  

Lord, please show me the “log” in my eye and give me wisdom as I look at others and myself. Thank you Jesus for loving me so much and caring enough to take the log or the speck out of my eye.

No comments: