Sunday, February 12, 2012

February 12 - Swearing

Matthew 5:33-37
In Leviticus 19:12 it says---You shall not swear falsely by my name, so as to profane the name of God; I am the Lord.
Let your “Yes” be “Yes” and your “No”, “No”; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
Wow---don’t straddle the fence. Let your “Yes” be “Yes” and “No”, “No”…not well, maybe---or say yes and then not do it---or say no…and then do it anyway. Our actions speak louder than words. It is important to have integrity---and to keep our word---our “Yes” or “No”s.
When I was growing up if us kids spoke any swear words we could be sure we’d have our mouth washed out with soap. Consider again the holiness you are seeking in your life---holiness unto the Lord---and how pleased He will be to know that you are keeping His word and His way by not swearing and by letting your yes and no mean what they are. Good spiritual food for today.  Are you in need of a bar of soap?
Lord, help me to keep my words meaningful, honest, and kind today. I certainly don’t want to have horrible words “washed” out of my mouth.

No comments: