Sunday, December 3, 2023

What Attitude or Habit Needs to Change?

Prayer – Lord, search me and know my heart. You know me even better than I know myself. Open my eyes so that I can see me as You do…and then open my heart to be willing and able to change. I know my attitude just plain stinks sometimes—but as I live closer to You, I think that it’s better than it was a few years ago. Is that being egotistical? May I bring glory to You—never to myself.

For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too. Romans 14:17-18

 

Meditate. Look into your heart and consider your attitude…towards God, others, and yourself.

 

Are you always looking out for yourself?
Big smile...but wicked bite?
How's your attitude?
What motivates you in life? Are you trying to impress others? Are you selfishly looking out for your own interests? Something I read recently about always thinking that my ideas were the best for our home, family, whatever was really selfish. Other people’s ideas are worthy and important, too. That was really convicting to me…I think the Holy Spirit was at work in my heart! I thought I was considering other people’s interests—but was I really? What was Jesus Christ’s attitude? He truly and totally committed His life to pleasing the Father. Putting Him first. Total obedience. In our relationship to God can we be as obedient as Jesus?

Clearly, God's promise to give the whole earth to Abraham and his descendants was based not on his obedience to God's law, but on a right relationship with God that comes by faith. If God's promise is only for those who obey the law, then faith is not necessary and the promise is pointless. For the law always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. (The only way to avoid breaking the law is to have no law to break!) So the promise is received by faith. It is given as a free gift. And we are all certain to receive it, whether or not we live according to the law of Moses, if we have faith like Abraham's. For Abraham is the father of all who believe. That is what the Scriptures mean when God told him, "I have made you the father of many nations." This happened because Abraham believed in the God who brings the dead back to life and who creates new things out of nothing. Romans 4:13-17 (Underlined for emphasis.)

In our relationship to the Lord where is our attitude towards Him…and to others that He has placed in our lives? Faith is the key to setting our attitude right. Our faith is in God as our Lord, our creator, our hope and savior. In considering your spiritual goals for this month and the coming year, are there any attitudes or habits that you need to change in order to have a closer relationship with the Lord?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ For God says, "At just the right time, I heard you. On the day of salvation, I helped you." Indeed, the "right time" is now. Today is the day of salvation. 2 Corinthians 6:2

 

© 2023 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

Revised and reused portions from May 30, 2021 “Banquet With The King” blog

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

 

No comments: