Sunday, July 8, 2018

Watch and Pray


They went to the olive grove called Gethsemane, and Jesus said, "Sit here while I go and pray." He took Peter, James, and John with him, and he became deeply troubled and distressed. He told them, "My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me." He went on a little farther and fell to the ground. He prayed that, if it were possible, the awful hour awaiting him might pass him by. Mark 14:32-35

Old olive trees in the Garden of Gethsemane - Jerusalem.
 Let’s go to a quiet place to pray. Jesus took all the disciples—besides Judas Iscariot who had already headed to the Temple to get the chief Priests, scribes and elders along with a legion of Roman soldiers. Picture this. When they got to the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus took Peter, James and John went deeper into the Garden with His inner circle of dearest friends. He told them just how He felt… My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Burdened …crushed. They were in an olive orchard with an olive press where olives were crushed. He was feeling that crushing in His very human soul. He simply asked these friends to stay awake and pray with Him. Watch and pray. Stay here and keep watch with me. Then Jesus went a little further away and in the classic picture we see is Him kneeling by a rock and praying. The scripture tells us that He fell to the ground and prayed. There He was face down in that olive orchard pouring out His heart to His Heavenly Father. Jesus knew what lay ahead for Him…but in utter anguish He prayed to be released from it. Before He got to this point in His life Jesus may have thought…
Olive Press - Israel
How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day? How long will my enemy have the upper hand? Psalm 13:2
Now the time had come…the end was coming near. He prayed as His enemies approached the Garden.

What an example. Take your three closest friends. Find a quiet place and go pray. Pour out your heart to the Lord. Thank the Lord for what He has done for you.

Prayer ~ LORD, You are my strength and shield. I trust You with all my heart. Thank You, Lord, for all that you have done for me…and for my family, friends, and neighbors. My heart is overflowing with anguish with You in knowing what You have done for us all…and knowing that You hear my prayer.

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Kings 15; 2 Chronicles 26
© 2018 Text and photo by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
Follow And Like "Banquet With The King" on Facebook. 👍

No comments: