Sunday, October 4, 2026

Many Believed…Can You?

He went beyond the Jordan River near the place where John was first baptizing and stayed there awhile. And many followed him. "John didn't perform miraculous signs," they remarked to one another, "but everything he said about this man has come true." And many who were there believed in Jesus. John 10:40-42 

Meditate on believing.

 

The Holy Spirit in the form of the Dove.
Jesus baptizes with the Holy Spirit. 
Everything that John said about Jesus came true. What did John say about Jesus?

"I baptize with water those who repent of their sins and turn to God. But someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I'm not worthy even to be his slave and carry his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire."  Matthew 3:11-12 (Underlined for emphasis.)

 

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! He is the one I was talking about when I said, 'A man is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.' I did not recognize him as the Messiah, but I have been baptizing with water so that he might be revealed to Israel." Then John testified, "I saw the Holy Spirit descending like a dove from heaven and resting upon him. I didn't know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, 'The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.' I saw this happen to Jesus, so I testify that he is the Chosen One of God." John 1:29-34

At this time, John the Baptist had died, but his followers knew that Jesus had lived up to His teaching and miracles. Jesus had shown that He was greater than John the Baptist, and He indeed did take away the sins of the world. While John was still living, Jesus talked with his disciples…

Jesus told them, "Go back to John and tell him what you have heard and seen-- the blind see, the lame walk, those with leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised to life, and the Good News is being preached to the poor." Matthew 11:4-5

Jesus continued to fulfill the expectations of His Father to perform various miracles. He was the Chosen One of God. Many followed and believed in Jesus. Would you? Do you?

            What do we learn about Jesus from this passage of scripture?

 

Prayer – Lord Jesus, You are amazing. It must have been a little déjà vu, returning to the place where John had baptized You. Were You listening for God’s voice…And a voice from heaven said, "This is my dearly loved Son, who brings me great joy." Matthew 3:17. Were You looking for that dove, the Holy Spirit, who descended at Your baptism? I wasn’t there—but I believe in You as the Son of God and the great miracle worker. I praise You.

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Our great desire is that you will keep on loving others as long as life lasts, in order to make certain that what you hope for will come true. Then you will not become spiritually dull and indifferent. Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to inherit God's promises because of their faith and endurance.  Hebrews 6:11-12

 


Happy Birthday, Lisa!

Blessings on you…today and always—with Much Love and Prayers.

Enjoy your Happy Place!

 

© 2026 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm. 

 

No comments: