Thursday, October 8, 2026

Are You Building Bigger Barns?

Then someone called from the crowd, "Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father's estate with me." Jesus replied, "Friend, who made me a judge over you to decide such things as that?" Then he said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed. Life is not measured by how much you own." Then he told them a story: "A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops. He said to himself, 'What should I do? I don't have room for all my crops.' Then he said, 'I know! I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll have room enough to store all my wheat and other goods. And I'll sit back and say to myself, "My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come. Now take it easy! Eat, drink, and be merry!"' "But God said to him, 'You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?' "Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God." Luke 12:13-21

Meditate on storing your harvest.

 

Harvest these exquisite grapes!
Sweet and juicy-right in my yard.
It is harvest time. The wheat harvest ended some time ago, but harvesting potato, corn, apples, grapes, and other crops continues. Where will those crops be stored? In this parable that Jesus told, the rich farmer built himself new, bigger barns to no avail. God declared him a fool and that he would die that night. Bigger barns. Keeping his crops until the market is higher seems like a wise thing to do, but is he greedy and hoarding? Just what is it that God wants him to do? Perhaps this guy should have been thanking God for the bounty of his harvest. Then he was hoarding it and what made him think that he really needed bigger barns? Why not just add onto what he had? Would he have as great a crop next year? History points out famine often follows a bountiful year. Look at what happened in Egypt at the time of Joseph. This farmer was certainly self-centered. “I will” not if the “if the Lord wills.” So, his plight was folly. Although he just wanted to take it easy…eat, drink, and be merry, that wasn’t the Lord’s plan for him. Life is unpredictable. It was over for him.

God knows our every thought, and He knows the number of our days. If we listen and obey, we will live a long life. That life will only be of value if we are obedient and serving the Lord with our time, talents, and His generosity.

These are the commands, decrees, and regulations that the LORD your God commanded me to teach you. You must obey them in the land you are about to enter and occupy, and you and your children and grandchildren must fear the LORD your God as long as you live. If you obey all his decrees and commands, you will enjoy a long life. Deuteronomy 6:1-2

A wealthy and feisty cousin of mine recently lived to be 107 years old, and would often declare her devotion to the Lord. We have to choose…build bigger barns or listen and obey. Can we have both? As Jesus taught in this passage a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God. Where do you stand today in your relationship with the Lord God?

 

Prayer – Lord God, I love You with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. I strive to live keeping You most important in my life, but I am bogged down by the day-to-day cares and concerns. I don’t want to disappoint others, but I just can’t do everything! Help me to prioritize what is important and to rely on You moment by moment for all my choices and decisions. Thanks.

 

Verse of Salvation ~ Though the LORD is very great and lives in heaven, he will make Jerusalem his home of justice and righteousness. In that day he will be your sure foundation, providing a rich store of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. The fear of the LORD will be your treasure. Isaiah 33:5-6

 

© 2026 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm. 

No comments: