Sunday, September 13, 2026

Who is a Gatekeeper?

All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. The thief's purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life. John 10:8-10 

Meditate. Consider what it is like to take care of sheep.

 

People lived closer to the land during Jesus’ time. Those with whom He was speaking possibly knew agricultural ways, including watching over sheep. The shepherd stood watch during the day—to protect his sheep from wild animals. Remember how almost a thousand years earlier, David wanted to fight Goliath and he told Saul about fighting off lions and bears.

But David persisted. "I have been taking care of my father's sheep and goats," he said. "When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and rescue the lamb from its mouth. If the animal turns on me, I catch it by the jaw and club it to death. I have done this to both lions and bears, and I'll do it to this pagan Philistine, too, for he has defied the armies of the living God! The LORD who rescued me from the claws of the lion and the bear will rescue me from this Philistine!" Saul finally consented. "All right, go ahead," he said. "And may the LORD be with you!" 1 Samuel 17:34-37

In the evening, the shepherd would corral his sheep in a makeshift enclosure and lay down across the opening, as a gate. He was the gatekeeper so that none of his sheep escaped, nor could anything get by him to attack them. He kept the sheep safe, giving them good pasture by day and protected sleep at night. Jesus was promising to do the same for those who follow Him. He would provide a rich and satisfying life. Are you willing to listen to Jesus and follow Him?

            Does knowing Jesus through this scripture passage provide you with hope, security, or love? Does it bring you into a relationship with Him…or deepen the one you have?

 

Prayer – Lord Jesus, I trust You. As the shepherd and gatekeeper of my life, I know that You provide all that I need and security. The enemy will not destroy me or take away my relationship with You. I praise You for all You have done…especially going to the cross in sacrificial obedience for my sin. You are worthy of glory, honor, and praise.

 

Verse of Salvation ~ But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God's sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God's condemnation. For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God. Romans 5:8-11

 

© 2026 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

No comments: