"I tell you the truth, anyone who sneaks over the wall of a sheepfold, rather than going through the gate, must surely be a thief and a robber! But the one who enters through the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice. They won't follow a stranger; they will run from him because they don't know his voice." Those who heard Jesus use this illustration didn't understand what he meant, so he explained it to them: "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep." "I am the good shepherd. …." John 10:1-7, 11
Meditate. Consider Jesus’ words and listen to what He is saying.
Jesus
proclaimed the truth of who He is. He is the one who takes care of the sheep—His
sheep. His flock. Those who believe in Him as Savior. Recall the words that are
famously written in Psalm 23.Sheep grazing in green pastures in Israel.
The LORD is my shepherd; I have all
that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful
streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor
to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by
anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your
goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will
live in the house of the LORD forever. Psalm 23:1-6
The shepherd
in this Psalm is the LORD. The Lord God Almighty. He provides everything that
is needed. Note that is not everything that is wanted…but everything that is
needed. He also provides security, comfort, strength, blessings, and an
everlasting love that allows us to live in the Lord’s presence forever.
Jesus
points out in the John 10 passage that the flock follow Him because they know
His voice. That is how it is with sheep. They follow the shepherd because they
know His voice and He calls them by name. That is an encouraging thought. Our
names are important to us. When someone remembers our name, it is special—they are
special, too. We are identified and feel loved. Jesus is known for His love.
Even little children sing about Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through
me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. -
John 10:9 NLT love. Yet, people listening to Jesus didn’t understand, so He
said He would explain it to them. In the following verses, He gives a more in-depth
description supporting His statement that He is the Good Shepherd. We’ll look
at those verses more closely in the next couple of days.
In
these scripture passages, what gives us more understanding of Jesus and His
character?
Prayer
– Lord Jesus, You are my Shepherd and I rely on You for security, comfort, strength,
blessings, and an everlasting love that allows me to live in Your presence
forever. That’s what I long for. To be in Your presence. I’m waiting patiently
for that day. Come quickly, Jesus.
Verse
of Salvation ~ Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved.
They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. John 10:9
© 2026 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All
rights reserved.
All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless
otherwise noted.
New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale
House Foundation.
Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream,
Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm.
No comments:
Post a Comment