Friday, June 16, 2023

Do You Have Ears to Hear?

Prayer – Lord Jesus, help me to understand God’s message to You and to all the world. 

Write this letter to the angel of the church in Ephesus. This is the message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand, the one who walks among the seven gold lampstands: I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don't tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars. You have patiently suffered for me without quitting. But I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don't repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches. But this is in your favor: You hate the evil deeds of the Nicolaitans, just as I do. Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches. To everyone who is victorious I will give fruit from the tree of life in the paradise of God. Revelation 2:1-7

 

Meditate. Consider God’s message in this passage.

 

Get out your maps and find Ephesus. It was the capital of the Roman providence Asia during the time of Caesar Augustus, and one of the cities that Paul visited and established a church during his third missionary journey. Ephesus is in present day Turkey where you can still go to see ancient ruins. At the time of Paul, it was on the Aegean Sea, but the land has filled in now so that it is no longer a sea port. I wish I could say I’ve been there…but I haven’t. You may want to put it on your bucket list.

 

Note that in John’s message he speaks of perseverance, endurance, or patient suffering. Suffering for the Lord’s sake. Very commendable, yet this same church is admonished for leaving their first love—assumed to be Jesus. That would seem to be an intentional act—not losing, but leaving. Very sad action and poor decision to have chosen. That seems to contradict their action of disliking the Nicolaitans who promoted following Balaam, instead of Jesus. At any rate, Jesus threatened that if they didn’t shape up and repent, He would remove their lampstand—their standing as one of the churches. That is not good.

 

The church at Ephesus had a choice to make…just as each of us do… to use our ears to hear and follow Jesus’ teachings and thus be allowed to eat of the tree of life—and have eternal life, or not. The choice is ours. Do you have ears to listen to Jesus’ message as spoken by the Holy Spirit?

 

Verse of Salvation ~ [The Lord speaks to Israel through the prophet Isaiah.] "Listen to me, my people. Hear me, Israel, for my law will be proclaimed, and my justice will become a light to the nations. My mercy and justice are coming soon. My salvation is on the way. My strong arm will bring justice to the nations. All distant lands will look to me and wait in hope for my powerful arm. Look up to the skies above, and gaze down on the earth below. For the skies will disappear like smoke, and the earth will wear out like a piece of clothing. The people of the earth will die like flies, but my salvation lasts forever. My righteous rule will never end!”  Isaiah 51:4-6 (Underlined for emphasis._

 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table


What do wild birds eat? 

These geese have gone fishing!


They are God's creation, too. God provides for them...and He will provide for you.

 
















© 2023 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: