Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Blessings of Wisdom from Our Generous God

Prayer ~ Lord God, when I look at myself, I see a weak person in need of wisdom from You. In Your mercy, please generously lavish knowledge, insight, and understanding for me that I would bring You glory and honor in all that I think, say, and do. You have generously blessed me—show me how and when to be a blessing to others.

The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the LORD holds them by the hand. Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread. The godly always give generous loans to others, and their children are a blessing. Psalm 37:23-26

 

Meditate. How can you graciously help others?

 

Do you see God as generous? That would mean that He is a gracious and liberal giver. Generously, in the Thayer Greek lexicon (574), mean simply, openly, frankly, and sincerely. Yes. I think that does describe our God. He expects us to be like Him in this regard as He had Moses instruct the Israelites before they went into the Promised Land. He wanted generosity and compassion among the Israelites, and thus we can assume it includes instruction for us as an extension of His adopted family.

There should be no poor among you, for the LORD your God will greatly bless you in the land he is giving you as a special possession. You will receive this blessing if you are careful to obey all the commands of the LORD your God that I am giving you today. ... But if there are any poor Israelites in your towns when you arrive in the land the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hard-hearted or tightfisted toward them. Instead, be generous and lend them whatever they need. ... Give generously to the poor, not grudgingly, for the LORD your God will bless you in everything you do. Deuteronomy 15:4-5, 7-8, 10

God was giving this guidance on how to treat other Israelites. Can we also assume this is how He wants us to treat all other people? Jesus Himself said to treat others the way we want to be treated. It is known as the Golden Rule—

Manito Park, Spokane WA
May your life overflow with
love, wisdom, and generosity...
like this fountain.
Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets. Matthew 7:12

Go and do likewise. Love your neighbor as yourself. Be merciful, generous, kind, and compassionate to others. One day you may find that you need help…and you can trust our generous and wise God to see that you are treated the way you have treated others.

 

Verses of Salvation ~ Create in me a clean heart, O God. Renew a loyal spirit within me. Do not banish me from your presence, and don't take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and make me willing to obey you. Psalm 51:10-12

 

Memory Verse of the Week ~ If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. James 1:5

 

© 2022 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: