Friday, June 7, 2013

June 7 – Heart Check-Up

Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. In this case, moreover, it is required of stewards that one be found trustworthy. But to me it is a very small thing that I may be examined by you, or by any human court; in fact, I do not even examine myself. For I am conscious of nothing against myself, yet I am not by this acquitted; but the one who examines me is the Lord. 1 Corinthians 4:1-4

The Lord gives us a heart check-up regularly to see if we are emulating His characteristic of reliability. Are we reliable to Christ, to our spouses, parents, family, friends, neighbors…even to other drivers on the streets? If we stay in our lane, obey the speed limit, watch out for other cars and trucks and don’t get smashed up, we are reliable drivers and our insurance company may even reward us with lower premiums. But how do we “stay in our lane” when it comes to our relationships with others? Like Paul was writing here to the people in Corinth, I am not conscious of anything I’ve done wrong. But we must look deeper…allow our Lord to examine our heart and see if there be any is any sin in me…any wicked ways.
You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night. You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong. I am determined not to sin in what I say. I have followed your commands, which keep me from following cruel and evil people. My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you. Psalm 17:3-5 NLT
The Lord examines our hearts. Who are we accountable to besides the Lord? Ourselves? Our family and friends? May we follow God commands and be found trustworthy—reliable. 

Training Tip – Give your child a small task to do…one that may not be his or her usual job. Then go away and check later to see if they have done what they were asked to do. If they have…praise them for being reliable and doing what they were asked to do. If they didn’t do it…give them another chance, but explain the concept of being reliable…doing what is asked or expected. Then when you check on them again, hopefully they’ll have done the task and you can reinforce the reliability concept with great praise and hugs.  

Lord Jesus, thank you for holding us accountable, for examining our hearts and lives. May we truly not go off Your pathway—but to live in ways that please You, following Your commands. 

Friday’s Feast at the Lord’s Table
What food do you love to eat? I ask my family and friends this often. I just want to please them.

Today let’s feast on a summertime comfort food…Rhubarb. Rhubarb is a family favorite that goes way back in my family. We had a big patch of rhubarb that grew next to our pump house when I was a kid. It was always over producing nice stalks of rhubarb for us and we had our fill of rhubarb pie, rhubarb cobbler and rhubarb pudding every summer. Recently a friend asked if I’d ever had rhubarb tapioca pudding. I’m sure I did. My mom could find amazing ways to fix rhubarb. Here’s what I found on Food.com, modified it to match what my Mom made. It’s as good as her creation! Enjoy! 

Rhubarb Tapioca Pudding
4 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped into 1/2-inch or smaller pieces
Juice from ½ lemon
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp each nutmeg and cardamom - optional
2 cups water
2 cups strawberries, greens removed, sliced
Topping of whipped cream, cream or vanilla ice cream 

Sprinkle the rhubarb with lemon juice and sugar and then put in the fridge overnight. In a saucepan mix together all except strawberries and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often, until rhubarb begins to release its juices.  Reduce heat and simmer until rhubarb is tender, about 3 minutes. This can be prepared in the microwave stirring every three minutes until the tapioca is cooked.  The tapioca will thicken as it cool for about 20 minutes. Add strawberries. Top with whipped cream, drizzle with plain cream or serve with vanilla ice cream. You could serve this over pound cake for a special birthday treat.

All scripture quoted from the New American Standard Bible (NASB) unless otherwise noted.
© 2013 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

No comments: