Friday, June 8, 2012

June 8 Perseverance


Ruth 1:19-22 

So they both went until they came to Bethlehem. And when they had come to Bethlehem, all the city was stirred because of them, and the women said, "Is this Naomi?" She said to them, "Do not call me Naomi; call me Mara, for the Almighty has dealt very bitterly with me. I went out full, but the Lord has brought me back empty. Why do you call me Naomi, since the Lord has witnessed against me and the Almighty has afflicted me?" So Naomi returned, and with her Ruth the Moabitess, her daughter-in-law, who returned from the land of Moab. And they came to Bethlehem at the beginning of barley harvest.

So they went on…preserved.  Perseverance is defined as steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement. Most of the time when we think about perseverance, we think of running a race (Hebrews 12) like a marathon. My husband ran in the Honolulu Marathon in 1982. It was quite an accomplishment—he finished, he persevered! Naomi and Ruth persistently trudged along the rugged trail to Bethlehem from Moab—more than the length of a marathon. Walking for seven to ten days through hilly country sometime in April it could have been warm in the heat of the day and very chilly in the desert at night with no safe, comfortable Holiday Inns to stay at along the way. It is no wonder that Naomi felt a bit bitter when she arrived in Bethlehem; losing her husband and sons and then walking back along the dusty trail from Moab.  This trip showed perseverance as strength of character for both Naomi and Ruth.

Scripture gives us some additional information on perseverance. These following verses seem provide us insight into Naomi and Ruth for they went on to Bethlehem in one accord—no longer arguing about going back or staying together. “For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, so that with one accord you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ” Romans 15:4-6 NASB. Naomi was feeling bitter, without hope. But she was at home in Bethlehem and hope would soon be hers.

Have hope. That is what we all need. What is your “hope”? My hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ, my Savior and Redeemer, who I know I will one day see in Heaven. I’ll sit at His Banquet Table and feast, not only on the fine foods that He has prepared, but also on the very words that come from His mouth and from His heart. That is my hope. Actually, that hope starts even now as I feast on His words in the holy scriptures today.

Dear Lord, Thank you for the hope that you gave Naomi as she returned to Bethlehem…and for the hope that you give each one of us. Hope for a glorious future with you…one that begins even today as we claim you as our Savior. Peace be unto you.

© 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

No comments: