Wednesday, June 6, 2012

June 6 - The Hand of the Lord


 Ruth 1:12-14 

"Return, my daughters! Go, for I am too old to have a husband. If I said I have hope, if I should even have a husband tonight and also bear sons, would you therefore wait until they were grown? Would you therefore refrain from marrying? No, my daughters; for it is harder for me than for you, for the hand of the Lord has gone forth against me." And they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her.

Crying and weeping. Tears are so hard to so “NO” to. My grandchildren can turn on the tears and have me saying “OK” so fast. I’m learning though to not give in to their tears, to stand my ground, say “NO” and then quickly change the subject. Amazing how fast they turn off the water works when they know they won’t get their way!
For Naomi, it didn’t take much to convince Orpah to go back, but Ruth was not to be dissuaded. We’re back to the Israeli custom of husbands and bearing sons again (Deuteronomy 25:5-10). Naomi can’t provide sons to be new husbands for Ruth and Orpah; it is physically impossible at her age. Well, Sarah must have been much older when she had her son, but Isaac was a gift of God. Naomi was in Moab, and not likely to given such a gift from God. God had another plan, and it included Ruth going to Bethlehem. Ruth must have had a deep respect for Naomi and her God, that provided the desire not return to her parents’ home and their gods.

Spiritually Naomi was feeling that the hand of the Lord was against her. She had just been through more than ten years of living apart from her own culture just to avoid the famine in her homeland, God’s Promised Land. Famine brought on the death of her husband and sons, so with their demise, Naomi felt abandoned by God. Now she was returning to Bethlehem, back to the land of her God, empty handed, alone. Do you ever feel abandoned by God?

Lord, as we trek through our lives, please don’t abandon us. Show us your love and give us spiritual food to sustain our souls that we would cling to you, as Ruth did to Naomi.

 © 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

No comments: