Thursday, June 21, 2012

June 21 – I Will Do As You Say

Ruth 3:4-5 

"It shall be when he lies down, that you shall notice the place where he lies, and you shall go and uncover his feet and lie down; then he will tell you what you shall do." She said to her, "All that you say I will do."

I will do as you say. Ruth was such an obedient and observant young lady. Watching and listening. She may not have known the Hebrew customs, but she trusted Naomi to tell her what to do. Do we trust others around us when they give us advice about what to do…or do we just do things our own way? Pre-schoolers and teenagers alike have that rebellious spirit that causes them to want to do things their own way. Things haven’t changed much in some people’s lives…at 69 years of age my husband still obstinately wants to do things his way. Most of the time his way is the right way, but occasionally my ideas are just as good…and I rebelliously try to get the last word. I need to be the submissive wife described in Ephesians 5:22 (KJV) Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For who wants to be rebellious to the Lord? Certainly not me!

Spiritually can we say that we will do as Jesus says? The key word to “doing” is obedience. We need to strive to listen and obey. In Romans 6:17-18 it says, But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed, and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. (NASB) Personally, I’d rather be a slave to righteousness, that is right living, than a slave to sin and evil. Still it is a moment by moment decision that takes us down the right path—the path of obedience. Spiritually words that guide us into that right path taste good, whereas the path that leads to sinful living usually gives us a bad taste in our mouths. That reminds me of a Psalm I read recently, Psalm 34(verse 8) O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! (NASB) Tasty spiritual words. Those I long to savor. Enjoy some of those words today.

Lord, guide us in Your word today that we would find tasty words to savor and contemplate. Words that would make a difference in our lives and in those around us.

© 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

No comments: