Thursday, April 12, 2012

April 12 - Humble or Hypocrite?

Matthew 23:1-39

But the greatest among you shall be your servant. And whoever exalts himself shall be humbled; and whoever humbles himself shall be exalted.” (v 11-12) (NASB)

It is hard to be humble when in our society it is our nature and our desire is to be recognized, rewarded, and revered. Children and adults alike are in the “Me” mode…life is all about ME. When was the last time you talked to someone and they didn’t carry on about what they were doing or feeling? Were they exalting themselves? I know without thinking, I do the same thing. My life is centered around me and my family. I have to make a conscious effort to focus on others, to exalt them.

Jesus, speaking to the disciples and the multitudes, described the heart condition of the Pharisees. The Pharisees should have been respected leaders in their society. They all instructed what to do and observe, but they did not do according to their own words. In verse 6, they love the place of honor at banquets, and the chief seats in the synagogues…But (V13) woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from men, for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.

The banquet of the Lord will be a joyous, lively meal---with no hypocrites. Do you think there will be round tables so that there will be no “head” or place of honor?  No, the place of honor will be where Jesus Himself is seated…and anyone at that banquet is “honored” to be there. They’ve made the right decision—they’ve chosen Jesus as their Savior. Look at your own heart once again today. Holiness is not an option---it is a requirement. Continue to make good decisions, with pure motives, and humble yourself before the Lord. The best decision you can make is to ask for forgiveness and accept Jesus as your Savior, then you will be worthy and chosen to sit at His Banquet table.

Lord, forgive me if I appear to be a hypocrite like the Pharisees. Cleanse my heart and my attitude that I may be pleasing to you and worthy to sit at your banquet table---today. I love you and praise you, for you alone are worthy of praise.

No comments: