Friday, April 27, 2012

April 27 - Death of Jesus

Matthew 27:45-56

 “My God, My God. Why hast thou forsaken Me?”

I continually wear a ring that I got in Israel that says, לעולם לא אעזוב אותך או לוותר לך
I will never leave you for forsake you. 
It is the promise from God that I claim; it is the promise that my husband and I have taken together with Christ; and during an epiphany moment, I realized that it is my promise to God.

Jesus last words on the cross are powerful and memorable.  Who among us cannot quote them? Woman behold you son.” (John20:26) “I am thirsty” (John 20:28) and “It is finished.” (John 20:30) It is finished.  What He came to do, He did.  God’s plan to save mankind was completed.

Crucifixion is a painful death. The person actually is asphyxiated as their body weight hangs down and doesn’t allow them to breathe. Usually their leg bones are broken to make the process faster, but Jesus was in such a weaken state from His beatings and blood loss that He was already dead when the soldier came to check Him. A spear was thrust into His side to be sure. The Temple curtain was torn in two from the top down. An earthquake frightened the soldiers—but more importantly I think that it demonstrated that the actual earth was mourning the loss of Jesus. Loss, yes.  Gone, but not forgotten.
You may wonder why God the Father forsook Jesus…or why Jesus felt that He was “forsaken” on the cross?  I’ll leave you to those thoughts. Why indeed? It is a much debated topic and we’ll never know the true answer this side of Heaven.  For us, we can only claim the promise that Jesus has given us in Deuteronomy 31:6,8 and Hebrews 13:5, “I will never leave you or forsake you.”

Thank you, Jesus, that You are always with us---we are never alone.     
.
© 2012 by Mickey M. Hunacek.  All rights reserved.
     

No comments: