Friday, April 28, 2023

Put Out a Fleece

Prayer – Lord, like Gideon we often seek a sign. Show me what You want me to do in this or that particular case. Right now a dear relative and friend is seeking a sign from the Lord concerning her husband’s recovery from a stroke. We put dear Marie and Rick in Your hands, Lord God. Have mercy on them in these coming days. We praise You and we love You—we won’t turn our backs on You, but whole rely on You 

The Israelites did evil in the LORD's sight. So the LORD handed them over to the Midianites for seven years. ... So Israel was reduced to starvation by the Midianites. Then the Israelites cried out to the LORD for help. When they cried out to the LORD because of Midian, the LORD sent a prophet to the Israelites. He said, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: I brought you up out of slavery in Egypt. ... I told you, 'I am the LORD your God. You must not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you now live.' But you have not listened to me." Then the angel of the LORD came and sat beneath the great tree at Ophrah, which belonged to Joash of the clan of Abiezer. Gideon son of Joash was threshing wheat at the bottom of a winepress to hide the grain from the Midianites. The angel of the LORD appeared to him and said, "Mighty hero, the LORD is with you!" "Sir," Gideon replied, "if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? And where are all the miracles our ancestors told us about? Didn't they say, 'The LORD brought us up out of Egypt'? But now the LORD has abandoned us and handed us over to the Midianites." Then the LORD turned to him and said, "Go with the strength you have, and rescue Israel from the Midianites. I am sending you!" "But Lord," Gideon replied, "how can I rescue Israel? My clan is the weakest in the whole tribe of Manasseh, and I am the least in my entire family!" The LORD said to him, "I will be with you. And you will destroy the Midianites as if you were fighting against one man." ... When Gideon realized that it was the angel of the LORD, he cried out, "Oh, Sovereign LORD, I'm doomed! I have seen the angel of the LORD face to face!" "It is all right," the LORD replied. "Do not be afraid. You will not die." ... Then the Spirit of the LORD took possession of Gideon. He blew a ram's horn as a call to arms, and the men of the clan of Abiezer came to him. Judges 6:1, 6-8, 10-16, 22-23, 34

 

Meditate. Consider God’s guidance, presence, and promises in scripture.

 

Jars of clay like Gideon and his army broke.
Shout! Break the jars and blow the horns.
The Victory is the Lord's!

Let God have victory in your life.

Have you ever heard the wail of a ram’s horn? That is what it sounds like a mournful wail. That is the sound that Gideon used to call the men to fight for Israel, to save them from the Midianites. God had allowed the Midianites to starve the Israelites in order to punish them. That should teach them not to do evil stuff in rebellion to the Lord God. Did it teach them? Probably not, since they turned to God and then again turned their backs on Him. That was their history. Here in this little portion of the big story, Gideon obediently serves the Lord and leads his people. Interestingly enough, Gideon is one that puts out a fleece to test God to prove that God will really help him. That is an idiom that people sometimes use “put out a fleece” to test a situation. Read on in Judges Six through Eight about Gideon, his army, God’s rescue and victory. The Holy Spirit’s control of Gideon saved the Israelite nation with crashing of clay jars, shouts, and the wail of ram’s horns. Can you imagine the Midianites so scared that they ran towards their homes chased by the Israelites? That is just what happened. The victory belonged to the Lord and peace came to the Israelites for many years. Unfortunately, when Gideon died, the people forgot about him and forgot about God who had rescued them.

 

When things are going great do you forget about God?

 

Verses of Salvation ~ A psalm of David. He sang: I love you, LORD; you are my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety. I called on the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and he saved me from my enemies. The ropes of death entangled me; floods of destruction swept over me. The grave wrapped its ropes around me; death laid a trap in my path. But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from his sanctuary; my cry to him reached his ears. Psalm 18:1-6

 

Friday’s Feast at the King’s Table

Are you experiencing a time of famine? Remember how there was a famine in Egypt and all around the world including Israel at the time of Joseph. I’ve always been amazed that Jacob sent his sons down to Egypt a second time for more food and told them to take along a gift of foods from Israel as a peace offering to Pharaoh’s assistant, Joseph himself.

So their father, Jacob, finally said to them, "If it can't be avoided, then at least do this. Pack your bags with the best products of this land. Take them down to the man as gifts--balm, honey, gum, aromatic resin, pistachio nuts, and almonds.”  Genesis 43:11

Pistachio nuts are such a good treat and snack that is satisfying when I am craving some carbs. So, what is the nutritional value of pistachio nuts? According to several websites (Google it for yourself—there is a lot of information available.) pistachio nuts help protect the heart by flushing out the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol and due to the potassium levels, blood vessels relax and improve overall circulation. These nuts also help protect the eyes due to antioxidants; provide good fiber; improve the nervous system functions (due to Vit B6); support healthy skin regeneration and repair; their low glycemic index assists with lowering insulin and glucose levels; facilitate mineral absorption due to copper, magnesium and phosphorus levels which contribute to good bone formation, brain function and hormone balances. Pistachio nuts also provide a stable energy boost. Additionally, they are a good source of plant protein.

 

They have been evaluated as a great snack—but don’t eat too many since their calories can add up quickly. One-fourth cup of shelled pistachio nuts have about 165 calories. Enjoy them as a snack, on salads, or get creative and put them in a dessert like cookies, pies, chocolate bark or on a bowl of ice cream or sorbet. I prefer to just eat mine plain—right out of the shell!

 

© 2023 Text, photos, and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved. 

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://v3.blueletterbible.org/search.cfm

 

Books by Mickey M. Hunacek

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins in the Bible: New Testament Stories

No comments: