Thursday, December 30, 2021

The Lord is Always With Me

Meditate. Are you alone?

King David said this about him: 'I see that the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and my tongue shouts his praises! My body rests in hope. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your Holy One to rot in the grave. You have shown me the way of life, and you will fill me with the joy of your presence.' "Dear brothers, think about this! You can be sure that the patriarch David wasn't referring to himself, for he died and was buried, and his tomb is still here among us. But he was a prophet, and he knew God had promised with an oath that one of David's own descendants would sit on his throne. David was looking into the future and speaking of the Messiah's resurrection. He was saying that God would not leave him among the dead or allow his body to rot in the grave. "God raised Jesus from the dead, and we are all witnesses of this. Now he is exalted to the place of highest honor in heaven, at God's right hand. And the Father, as he had promised, gave him the Holy Spirit to pour out upon us, just as you see and hear today. Acts 2:25-33

 

This passage is referring to David and what he wrote in Psalm 16. The Message gives us a very readable version.

My feet are on the life path.
The light of the world is shining on me.
Hold my hand.

My choice is you, 
God, first and only. And now I find I’m your choice! You set me up with a house and yard. And then you made me your heir!  The wise counsel God gives when I’m awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I’ll stick with God; I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go.  I’m happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I’m firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell—that’s not my destination!  Now you’ve got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I’m on the right way. Psalm 16:5-11 The Message


Not only is David aware that the Lord is with him…and us…always, but we are told that we are God’s choice. How special is that? Did you know that as you search for God…He is drawing you to Himself? He chose you…even before you were born. There is a classic verse in Jeremiah which we can apply to every person. God knows everyone before they are born even if they are not prophets of the Lord.

"I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb. Before you were born I set you apart and appointed you as my prophet to the nations." Jeremiah 1:5

I like how Eugene Peterson paraphrased the verses in Psalm 16. I’m happy from the inside out, and from the outside in, I’m firmly formed. You canceled my ticket to hell—that’s not my destination! I guess everyone who doesn’t choose God, chooses hell. But as David said…You canceled my ticket to hell! What a great promise. Hell, as I understand it, is a horrible place. A lake of fire. Gnashing teeth. Ugh! I certainly don’t want to go there. Do you? Knowing that we will be with the Lord Jesus Christ always is so much better. My heart is happy, is at peace, and is full of hope. The Lord is always with me.

 

Prayer ~ God…please be merciful to me, to my family, and to my friends. For as You said to Moses, "I will show mercy to anyone I choose, and I will show compassion to anyone I choose." So, it is You who decides to show mercy. We can neither choose it nor work for it. From Romans 9:15-16

 

Verse of Salvation ~ As for us, we can't help but thank God for you, dear brothers and sisters loved by the Lord. We are always thankful that God chose you to be among the first to experience salvation—a salvation that came through the Spirit who makes you holy and through your belief in the truth. 2 Thessalonians 2:13

 © 2021 Text, photos and illustrations by Mickey M. Hunacek. All rights reserved.

All scripture quoted from the New Living Translation (NLT) unless otherwise noted. 

New Living Translation copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. 

Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Biblical search from Blue Letter Bible - http://www.blueletterbible.org

 

Parenting Day By Day - Daily Devotional for Building Character

Coins of the Bible: New Testament Stories

Available as e-books or paperbacks at Amazon.com

 

No comments: